• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bovine13

Text RPG questions

This topic is 5157 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a few questions about making a text RPG: 1. Where do I put the room descriptions? In a .txt file, or what? 2. How would I do the AI for the NPC''s? I''m just starting this, by myself (hopefully not by myself for long, though), so I haven''t actually done any designing or anything. However, any help at this point would be great. ~Bovine

Advertisement
1. Put them wherever you want. You can put each room in a different text file, or you can put all the room descriptions in the same text file. Or you can put them into a zip of a bunch of little text files, etc. Being able to make your own decision about where to put things is one of the fun parts about programming. However, when you''re starting, it might be easiest if each room went into its own file.

2. How you do the AI is entirely dependent on what you want the NPCs to do. It''s hard to say anything more with just what you''ve mentioned.

1. I dont recommend text files - they''re too easily editable. Try creating a simple binary editor to input your map information and save it. You could then create your own file format for it, which makes for easier map loads later on rather than parsing a huge text document.

2. AI can be done in various ways, but unless you need them to really seem busy, you should simply create waypoints for them to patrol.

Worship the holy trinity that is Blitz, Babes and Beers!

1. If it is online you can use txt files as it is all server side but if you know how to serialize XML go that route as it is more organized. But if you like databases store the information in a database.

2. Can''t tell you how to do AI as it is a vast topic and there ate tons of ways that are correct it is all in your prefernce and what they must do.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!