Billboarding???

Started by
4 comments, last by JIMbond21 20 years ago
I know what billboarding is, but I dont know how to do it. Does anyone know of any good tutorials or source code examples that can help me learn how to do view point and view plane aligned billboarding?
THX,JAP
Advertisement
Didn;t your mother teach you how to use Google?
FYI - I hate it when people don''t answer & just say something like "ever heard of Google", if you could google everything, then why do we even have this forum? anyways...
A good understanding of the modelview matrix would definitely help you understand billboarding. A real simple way to billboard (like say for a particle system, so every particle faces the viewer at all times) would be to set 9 of the 16 members of the matrix to 0 right before you draw. The top-left 9, all the parts that deal with rotation.

Go ahead & search for billboarding on either this gamedev forum or on the gamedev NEHE forum (I like that one a lot), there have been oodles of posts on this.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
FYI - I hate it when people don''t answer & just say something like "ever heard of Google", if you could google everything, then why do we even have this forum? anyways...

because as your end statement says...
quote:
there have been oodles of posts on this.

I''m all for helping people but i''d like them to do a bit of leg work first, first thing i do when i''ve a problem, bang some keywords into google (well, 2nd thing after checking books) if that still doesnt help me THEN i''ll ask, is it wrong for us to expect others to do the same?

quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

FYI... I posted a link to google that automatically searched the topic for him... The top few links were to step-by-step tutorials on the topic.

You''re right, there''s no point helping people on these forums - so I don''t think I''ll bother if they''re unwilling to at least look for themselves.
just rotate every particle by the camera angle

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement