• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dcosborn

Rendering Win32 controls off-screen

This topic is 5240 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve seen a few programs that seem to make Windows render its windows and controls to an off-screen buffer. Then they use the buffer in their own rendering: for example, as a texture on a 3D plane. I even saw one where they had each application''s window as a separate 3D surface which could be pushed up or down in the stack. Anyways, what I''d like to do is have my controls draw themselves onto a memory device context or something of the sort. I need to be able to fade controls in and out and basically have them integrate into the rest of my OpenGL display. I''m tired, but I hope that was clear enough for you to understand. Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
If I understand what you''re saying, then the easiest way to achieve what I think you want is to create a compatible bitmap, grab it''s device context and pass either the WM_PRINT or WM_PRINTCLIENT message to the window you want rendered.

Hey great, I never knew about WM_PRINT. Just what I needed. Thanks - you''re answers are always so good SiCrane.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!