• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jay101

Simplest AI problem

This topic is 5244 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, What is the simplest problem that you can devise that if solved by AI, you can say to your self wow, thats true AI. Thanks, Jay

Advertisement
A 2-state finite state machine that alternates between them based on the application of a single stimulus.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer
Intrinsic Algorithm -
"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

quote:
Original post by InnocuousFox
A 2-state finite state machine that alternates between them based on the application of a single stimulus.

ehhh, like a radiobutton ?

Doesn''t that depend on what *YOU* define as intelligence?

What you might consider "intelligent", I might consider as simply following rules and not making independent decisions.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a universal definition of "intelligence" that everyone accepts.

botman

Talking about AI outside of a ''problem'' is a bit difficult. If you have a problem or environment in mind, it would become a bit easier to discuss. For a look at the philosophical side/the general state of the industry, take a look at Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach, 2nd Edition.

I am sure there are hundreds of sites on the net that address similar questions. I don''t have any off hand, but a bit of searching may lead you to a few.

The problem here is that you have asked for a relatively objective criteria ("simplest") followed by a relatively subjective one ("say to yourself"). Are we answering the first or the second.

Intrinsic Algorithm -

Designed behaviour where responses to input are well defined doesn''t impress me. However, aggregate a bunch of simple state machines and show me emergent behaviour that hasn''t been explicitly designed and I will be impressed.

Which is exactly the point of the 2nd part of my statement... the subjective part. "Impressing people" is a wide open range.

Intrinsic Algorithm -

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!