Three dimensional Linked List's?

Started by
10 comments, last by crakinshot 20 years ago
quote:Original post by SiCrane
Don't forget hash tables indexed by ordered triples, hB trees and grid files.

But to be fair, there has been one class of applications that I know of that have been structured as a multi-dimensional linked lists: the classic text adventure games. Remember those? Every room could potentially lead to another room north, south, east, west, up, or down. And at least one game that I've seen the source code to structured the actual data to reflect that.

Nice example; better than anything I have.

[Edit]

I said I was looking into three-dimensional linked-list specifically for object management, which isn't the case. In my example program I have 3 layers; Services, game and menu - in that order. The services layer has a few simple interfaces to systems such as the renderer, window manager, etc, the game layer has all the game objects and the menu layer evidently has the menu items.

All I need do is send an update message and a run-once message to the first node of the entire hierarchy and everything updates, draws, what-ever in the correct order, systems update first, then the game objects update from the services and so too the menu items after the game objects.

The only thing that resembles this, which I have found, is an article by Scott Patterson entitled "An Object-Composition Game Framework" in Game Programming Gems 3. It's basically the same idea; layering tasks (well it seems related).

[edited by - crakinshot on April 10, 2004 6:22:20 PM]
-=CrAKiN:ShOt=-I could put something witty here but I'm not that stupid...
Advertisement
Good luck coming up with sane generic traversal algorithms. I suppose depthfirst traversal would be one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement