• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sKit0idMan

Beginner looking for guidance :P

This topic is 5245 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hiya, im a beginner at well everything.. Ive done some simple VB games in highschool and stuff and i wanna get into some interesting stuff . Summer is approaching and i need a project over the summer.. somethign to do in my free time :D. I would like to get into game modding but i have no idea were to start.. what game, how, what programs i need, ect.. or maybe i''ll get into simple 3d porgramming.. i really dont know.. I would like to get into game modding over anything else though just dont know were to start. So i need some guidance with this :D. Thx alot for any info you can give me.. know any good game modding sites/forums? games to mod? were to start? THX :D

Advertisement
You should probably learn to program another language that will be more closely simulated with scripting languages. So c++. Learn that. Learn a simple graphics api like borland. Make a simple game so you understand how its not event based like vb (well mods are probably event based).

I also forgot to add that i did java aswell and i know it ok.. nothign with games tho.. simple applet and Swing stuff plus all the basics.. Arithmetic, Random Numbers, loops, a bit of database work.. ect. I am familiar with object oriented programming..

So on the C++ level which i know its best for games.. know any good sites/tutorials to start? where do I get c++ anyways ? :S

Well, you don''t "get c++". You can get a free compiler however called "Dev-C++" from Bloodshed Software. it''s a windows port of the UNIX-based GCC compiler plus an IDE to go with. (If you use linux/UNIX, GCC comes as part of practically all linux distributions so it can be used natively). Otherwise, you''ll have to pay a pretty penny for Microsoft of Borland software.

For learning C++ i could point to some tutorials and whatnot, but i won''t since i feel getting a good book will serve you much better. I''ll let others recommend books or you can use the search engine here. It''s a pop topic that doesn''t need more repetition.

If your looking to get into modding then you have a good choice of games to choose but it all depends on what games you already own - Half-Life has a massive modding community (how else has it loved so long?) or there is Quake 3 or the Unreal series of games.

If you are planning on modding Q3 or HL then you will need to know C/C++ whereas Unreal uses UnrealScript which I think is pretty similiar to Java for modding.

quote:
Original post by honayboyz
You should probably learn to program another language that will be more closely simulated with scripting languages.

Ok so far...

quote:
So c++. Learn that.

Wtf?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!