• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beginner looking for guidance :P

This topic is 5061 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hiya, im a beginner at well everything.. Ive done some simple VB games in highschool and stuff and i wanna get into some interesting stuff . Summer is approaching and i need a project over the summer.. somethign to do in my free time :D. I would like to get into game modding but i have no idea were to start.. what game, how, what programs i need, ect.. or maybe i''ll get into simple 3d porgramming.. i really dont know.. I would like to get into game modding over anything else though just dont know were to start. So i need some guidance with this :D. Thx alot for any info you can give me.. know any good game modding sites/forums? games to mod? were to start? THX :D

Advertisement
You should probably learn to program another language that will be more closely simulated with scripting languages. So c++. Learn that. Learn a simple graphics api like borland. Make a simple game so you understand how its not event based like vb (well mods are probably event based).

I also forgot to add that i did java aswell and i know it ok.. nothign with games tho.. simple applet and Swing stuff plus all the basics.. Arithmetic, Random Numbers, loops, a bit of database work.. ect. I am familiar with object oriented programming..

So on the C++ level which i know its best for games.. know any good sites/tutorials to start? where do I get c++ anyways ? :S

Well, you don''t "get c++". You can get a free compiler however called "Dev-C++" from Bloodshed Software. it''s a windows port of the UNIX-based GCC compiler plus an IDE to go with. (If you use linux/UNIX, GCC comes as part of practically all linux distributions so it can be used natively). Otherwise, you''ll have to pay a pretty penny for Microsoft of Borland software.

For learning C++ i could point to some tutorials and whatnot, but i won''t since i feel getting a good book will serve you much better. I''ll let others recommend books or you can use the search engine here. It''s a pop topic that doesn''t need more repetition.

If your looking to get into modding then you have a good choice of games to choose but it all depends on what games you already own - Half-Life has a massive modding community (how else has it loved so long?) or there is Quake 3 or the Unreal series of games.

If you are planning on modding Q3 or HL then you will need to know C/C++ whereas Unreal uses UnrealScript which I think is pretty similiar to Java for modding.

quote:
Original post by honayboyz
You should probably learn to program another language that will be more closely simulated with scripting languages.

Ok so far...

quote:
So c++. Learn that.

Wtf?

• Advertisement