Morrowind: Story done right

Started by
24 comments, last by tieTYT 20 years ago
quote:Original post by TechnoGoth
quote:Original post by Kuladus
yer if i remember correctly the blackclothesman required you to be at a certain level before sending you on those quests...

who knows if there is another elder scrolls game coming out?

That is bad story telling if I heard it. Preventing the player from taking part in the story because there level isn''t high enough is not a good thing. I''d rath be able to attempt the story at a low level and If I''m unable to complete the quest then level build and explore until I am, then have to level build until I reach an arbitray level before I can begin the story.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project: Ambitions Slave

I''m 90% sure he doesn''t stop you from starting because of your level.

That first quest he gives you probably helps out the fighters guild, but it''s not a fighter''s guild quest. I''ve never played a RPG where you could ask yourself at every moment, "What does this have to do with saving the world" and there was a good answer. And morrowind is no exception; I''m sure the first quest that man gives you had very little to do with saving the world, but i bet you the next one was a little more relevant.

If you stuck with it a little longer, you would have gotten on the right track. I donno how you went through the game, perhaps you were wandering around for many earth days before you talked to this man. After 5 days of doing guild quests i could understand why his first quest may make you feel like there is nothing in morrowind but guild quests...

But there is. The main story is long and very very very deep. Because you hardly even hit the tip of the iceberg, you really didn''t give the main story a fair chance. It''s kinda like dismissing a good game because of its average graphics. Although in your case i can really understand where you''re coming from, the way you reacted to it is reasonable.

About the story being done wrong because you can miss it... i don''t think that makes it a bad story. I think that''s a design issue. If you missed the great story, it''s still a great story, it just isn''t being told to anyone.
Advertisement
Nyeh. The Morrowind story sucked - not in how it was written, but in how it was presented. In fact, just about everything about Morrowind sucked. Unique NPCs? Give me a break. They all the same dialogue.
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
quote:Original post by Dobbs
quote:Original post by Raghar
Bethesda botched it severally. Have you played Daggerfall? Morrowind was just 1.5 of that game with improved graphic and somewhat restricted.

That''s an interesting view. How about this one. The huge Daggerfall gameworld was hugely generic and hugely bland, and it completely lacked direction for the player. Morrowind was better in just about every way.

Daggerall has a million NPCs with no personality and nothing interesting to say. Morrowind has a lot of unique NPCs with often very different things to say.

Daggerfall has a million square miles that are 99% identical. Morrowind had many varied locations and landscapes, and enough space to seem big but without enormous areas containing absolutely nothing of interest.

Daggerfall has a plot so nonlinear that I found it impossible to find a focus - at least in Morrowind there was always whathisnamedressedinblack to give me direction if I wanted it in the early game, until I had some experience in the world and a good idea of what I wanted to do.

I agree with this pretty much 100%, in my opinion Morrowind is more accessible, more streamlined and less generic than Daggerfall (not that I didn''t like Daggerfall.) I find that saying anything about Morrowind (good or bad) is pointless, it''s a love it or hate it game (I love it) and you''ll always end up with a flame war if you try to say any good or bad about it. I don''t think the story or the writting was very good, but to me that doesn''t really matter in a game, even in a RPG.
My problem with games like Baulders Gate, Morrowind, Etc., is that there are often so many side quests taking me everywhere, that me, being the "must complete everything" gamer, will quickly lose track of the story because I''m tracking down a woman locked up in the Gnoll tower, or trying to find a criminal or so on and so forth. I end up totally losing what could be a great story to a ton of good side quests. I think I''ll give Morrowind a try, but I''d rather play a true, linear RPG (Xenosaga IS the best game EVER) any day.
____________________________________________________________unofficial Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section
quote:Original post by RichardMV
My problem with games like Baulders Gate, Morrowind, Etc., is that there are often so many side quests taking me everywhere, that me, being the "must complete everything" gamer, will quickly lose track of the story because I''m tracking down a woman locked up in the Gnoll tower, or trying to find a criminal or so on and so forth. I end up totally losing what could be a great story to a ton of good side quests. I think I''ll give Morrowind a try, but I''d rather play a true, linear RPG (Xenosaga IS the best game EVER) any day.

I''m pretty much the opposite of you. I don''t have an urge to do complete every side quest and a prefer non-linear PC style RPGs to console games that are light on gameplay and heavy on cutscenes, and I hear Xenosaga is the worst offender (80 hours... 40 gameplay, 40 cutscenes?). Might as well just watch some anime and get a better storyline in a similar style than play through 1000s of random battles to get the same thing. As much as I sound like I dislike console RPGs there are some that I like a lot (Chrono Trigger, some of the SNES FF games.) I still think the basic format is flawed and needs to be updated.
Actually, Xenosaga can easily be completed in 40 hrs., 20 playing, 20 cutscene, but the twenty hours are worth it. I enjoy anime, but I also like getting personally involved in a movies plat, and often a game does that for me much better. If it weren''t for the battles, it wouldn''t be much of a game, and if you think obligatory battles would be better, play Orphen: Scion of Sourcery (PS2) It proves that random battles are the way to go in the linear RPG format, although games like Chrono Trigger + Chrono Cross, Star Ocean, and Secret of Mana manage to pull of a different style. I guess it''s not just random battles, but optional battles. Orphen had you trekking from one set up battle to the next, with an odd, episodic plot which really did nothing to try to draw the player in. Maybe the anime is better. Also, Xenosaga used the same system as Chrono Trigger for encountering enemies, but made it so hard to level up unless you really needed it that you might as well try to avoid every fight. Nearly every battle could be escaped from using escape powder, but it is fun just to fight a few enemies in every location. I just can''t get into such an open ended game like Baulders Gate because half of the game''s leveling up occurs outside of the story line through side quests. This tends to distract me too much from the story of the game, and it, to me, just becomes one disjointed side quest after another. However, I do enjoy Baulders Gate (except when I kill of a key character, for example every single group of bandits), and other non-linear RPGs.
____________________________________________________________unofficial Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement