• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

remi

Disney Visemes

This topic is 5302 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I heard about the Disney visemes(about 13) used to represent different mouth positions during facial animation. Do anybody know where i can download those kind of artworks(simple ones). Thanx!

Advertisement
There's a copy of one of the classic Disney sheets in this Gamasutra article, as well as some in-depth discussion on the subject. Personally, I don't think the sheet's particularly good as reference... too smiley and too toony. Your best bet is to get a mirror for your workspace. Also, if your animation program allows you to blend phonemes together (sorry, I've never heard anyone use "visemes" before, although it looks like it's technically more correct) or at least use them at lower percentages, I don't think you'll need 13. Depends how precise you want your lipsync to be. Honestly, you can often get away with a fairly rough approximation, as long as the timing's right.

"Sweet, peaceful eyelash spiders! Live in love by the ocean of my eyes!" - Jennifer Diane Reitz

[edited by - Logodae on April 11, 2004 8:16:47 PM]

Thanx Logodae for the link, it was very useful. After multiple links to different pages it helped me find out this software: FaceGen. It''s just incredible.

Talking about the Visemes, the link you gave describes it very well and point out the differences between it and the phonemes
quote:

Phonemes and Visemes

No discussion of facial animation is possible without discussing phonemes. Jake Rodgers’s article “Animating Facial Expressions” (Game Developer, November 1998) defined a phoneme as an abstract unit of the phonetic system of a language that corresponds to a set of similar speech sounds. More simply, phonemes are the individual sounds that make up speech...
Fewer facial positions are necessary to visually represent speech since several sounds can be made with the same mouth position. These visual references to groups of phonemes are called visemes...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!