Internet source code question (edit - question on torque)

Started by
20 comments, last by wilhil 20 years ago
lol i dont want to build halflife!

I want to build a space flying mmorpg game.... LOL

I am being serious though, I dont care if it will take me years! or if it looks crappy, but when I have finished doing all noob programs and examples I want to start working on this! as i said, i know it is jumping the gun! but i dont see why i cant try and do it!
>wilhil<
Advertisement
I think you''re going to need to decide on what you want to concentrate on first .

You don''t need to know C++ in order to use TGE in it''s default configuration, you just need to know how to compile it. You can customise the example (FPS) game fairly extensively using the C like script commands which are built in, and/or the various third party tools.

As has been already mentioned, the best place to find out the details of that is the Garage Games site.

You might also want to check out the Realm Wars project at some point, as that is being created using TGE.

Once you have a feel for which aspects can be used as-is and which need adding or modifying, you can then edit the C++ source code and recompile.

This is probably the point at which you''d want to learn C++ and perhaps a little OpenGL as you''d then have a little more insight into which areas you want to concentrate on learning.

If you''d rather learn about game design, C++, the Win32 API, or OpenGL first, then the resource section of this site would be the best place to start looking.

The latter two subjects are only really useful if you already know a little programing first though, as otherwise it''s a little difficult to experiment with them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement