• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wilhil

Visual studio.net 2003 and Visual studio 6

This topic is 5157 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

On my pc it was simply install visual studio .net 2003, but I now have got my old pc working, it currently has visual studio 6.0 installed, I want to have fun with all my old projects on it, and I was wondering will all source code work on 2003? can both products be installed at once, or should i uninstall vs6? Thanks

Advertisement
You can have both Visual Studio .NET and Visual Studio 6 installed in the same time. That''s how my computer is set up.

However, not all valid MSVC6 programs are valid MSVC .NET programs.

I only keep MSVC 6 on my computer to help answer people''s VC 6 questions on these boards. If I didn''t post here, then I would have gotten rid of it a long time ago.

quote:
Original post by wild_pointer
On both computers where I installed .NET and then later uninstalled VC6, I lost all my related file assocations. That was fun. Just a headsup/wondering if this happened to others too.

Yep, that''s erm... usual. Annoying but easily fixable.

Uninstall VS6, 2003 has the much better compiler; the IDE is mostly better, a bit slower though. You won''t look back.

.net removes features (like direct X builder), but adds them with new non-standard libraries and the .net framework for those microsoft languages like J#, C#, C++.net, and VB. Of cource those non-standard libraries make me nervous because windows update could be updating them, and they might have some huge memory leak or something

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!