Visual studio.net 2003 and Visual studio 6

Started by
5 comments, last by wilhil 20 years ago
On my pc it was simply install visual studio .net 2003, but I now have got my old pc working, it currently has visual studio 6.0 installed, I want to have fun with all my old projects on it, and I was wondering will all source code work on 2003? can both products be installed at once, or should i uninstall vs6? Thanks
>wilhil<
Advertisement
You can have both Visual Studio .NET and Visual Studio 6 installed in the same time. That''s how my computer is set up.

However, not all valid MSVC6 programs are valid MSVC .NET programs.
so it will be better if i have both installed?
>wilhil<
I only keep MSVC 6 on my computer to help answer people''s VC 6 questions on these boards. If I didn''t post here, then I would have gotten rid of it a long time ago.
On both computers where I installed .NET and then later uninstalled VC6, I lost all my related file assocations. That was fun. Just a headsup/wondering if this happened to others too.

[My site|SGI STL|Bjarne FAQ|C++ FAQ Lite|MSDN|Jargon]
Ripped off from various people
[size=2]
quote:Original post by wild_pointer
On both computers where I installed .NET and then later uninstalled VC6, I lost all my related file assocations. That was fun. Just a headsup/wondering if this happened to others too.

Yep, that''s erm... usual. Annoying but easily fixable.

Uninstall VS6, 2003 has the much better compiler; the IDE is mostly better, a bit slower though. You won''t look back.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

.net removes features (like direct X builder), but adds them with new non-standard libraries and the .net framework for those microsoft languages like J#, C#, C++.net, and VB. Of cource those non-standard libraries make me nervous because windows update could be updating them, and they might have some huge memory leak or something

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement