• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

swiftd

experience vs. qualifications

This topic is 5159 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, just a question about getting a job in the industry. I am currently studying a Bachelor of Information Technology/Creative Industries, which can be tailored game development. I am primarily interested in programming and the development side of games. I was talking to my cousin, who works as a 3d animator, who has had some experience in the gaming industry, and he said that because it''s such a skill based profession the degree might not be the best idea. As im not really enjoying being at uni, I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice? Should I defer uni for awhile, concentrate on making some mods and games and improving my coding?

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by swiftd
Hey guys, just a question about getting a job in the industry. I am currently studying a Bachelor of Information Technology/Creative Industries, which can be tailored game development. I am primarily interested in programming and the development side of games. I was talking to my cousin, who works as a 3d animator, who has had some experience in the gaming industry, and he said that because it''s such a skill based profession the degree might not be the best idea. As im not really enjoying being at uni, I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice? Should I defer uni for awhile, concentrate on making some mods and games and improving my coding?

Get your degree and work on your game coding, better yet, try get an internship with a game company while at college.

Don''t drop out of school. Perhaps colleges don''t teach you what you need to get into the industry, but if don''t make it in the industry, you can get a job in the business programming sector.

Generally, experience > education. There are so many graduates out there who cant code worth anything, but so many skilled self-taught coders.

There''s no question though that having the experience AND the education is a big boost. It''s a wonder what that little piece of paper can do. My advice is to stay in school and code as a hobby. Internships also help make your resume look good (doesnt have to be for a game company, any remotely tech-related work will do).

If you''re curious about what practical skills and qualifications you will need to actually get a job as a game programmer, the #1 recommendation I can make is to read through Job Listings in the industry. GameDev.Net has a decent helping (just click on Job Listings at the top of the page). Gamasutra has a good list as well.

You''ll surely note that almost all of them require a BS in Comp Sci or an equivalent level of experience in the field .

Best advice: Stay in school, get your degree, look for internships and work on a quality indie game as a hobby. Make sure you choose a single project that you can finish -- don''t be like me and devote your time to so many different projects you never make any real progress* in any one of them.

*ForeverDream being the exception, of course.

Brian Lacy
ForeverDream Studios

Comments? Questions? Curious?

"I create. Therefore I am."

You can also look into getting a BS dagree in gaming its self. digipen has game related majors fullsail just started doing a BS in game design and development. and there are a few other schools currently doing game majors and more looking into it might want to check it out

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!