• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there anyone programing games use C#?

This topic is 5056 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Yes. While your C# programs might not be as performant as current-generation C++ programs, C# programs of the future are more likely to benefit from various performance optimizations and enhancements to the .NET Runtime and JIT compiler. Add to that the benefit of native managed types, reflection and a clear path to next-generation Microsoft platforms, as well as a shallower language learning curve, and C# is a very attractive and sensible option for a beginner.

Nobody better start a flamewar here.

I have seen examples of code written in visual basic 6.0 that run games. They were so slow! Then i saw the same examples written in visual basic the right way. They were pumping out images at unheard speeds. What i am saying is that it truly does not matter what language you use. Just as long as you know how to use it. Visual basic used to be tremendously slow but now you can tap directly into the API and DirectX. You can do anything you want in any language just as long as you know how to program the correct way.

oh,but there are so less sample code programed in c#.
for beginner it is a hard way to program in c#~!

.NET absolutely sucks, anytime I have used .NET the lack of documentation just seemed to drag the whole point of learning it down. It''s just a M$ attempt to build something like JAVA, but worse. There seem to be different versions floating around the every different server too, so I deploy one app to one machine and it won''t work on a dozen others. .NET isn''t standardised either, which makes it very bad.

pkelly83: What lack of documentation? How about msdn.microsoft.com or the MSDN library? For me, that''s plenty.

.NET rocks. It''s simple and easy to learn. J2SE/EE is cool too.

As far as game programming is concerned, I think you should choose the language you feel the most comfortable working with.

That is, unless you want to win awards for writing The Fastest Game Code on the Block. The tighter code you want, the lower level of abstraction you need to get to.

For 95% of programming projects .NET and Java kick arse.

-- Jani

quote:
Original post by pkelly83
.NET absolutely sucks, anytime I have used .NET the lack of documentation just seemed to drag the whole point of learning it down. It''s just a M$ attempt to build something like JAVA, but worse. There seem to be different versions floating around the every different server too, so I deploy one app to one machine and it won''t work on a dozen others. .NET isn''t standardised either, which makes it very bad.

Actually that''s not the answer to any question asked in this thread!

Have fun
Bunnz
Purple#, a shader-driven game engine for .NET.

I suppose I first learnt to program in ASM, which makes absolutely prejudiced against anything that is interpereted. Still what I''ve seen of .NET i don''t like, and I have used it. But then again, I didn''t like JAVA before and I bothered to learn it right and found it''s the same as C++ underneath it all. I''d still rather use C++ over JAVA, well maybe JAVA for the interfaces.

Sorry for not answering the question!

quote:
Original post by pkelly83
I suppose I first learnt to program in ASM, which makes absolutely prejudiced against anything that is interpereted.

So not C# or the other .NET languages then - since these are not interpreted but compiled at run-time by the JIT.

As others have said, you use whatever language you like the best, it''s possible to write fast code or slow code in any language - so which ever langauge you learn, learn it well.

You can only wish

There''s one of these threads popping up every other day now, and it''s getting a bit beyond the joke. The fact of the matter is that if these people are asking questions like this then they are not at a level where it really matters anyway, since they''ll not be writing Doom 5 or anything anytime soon.

Maybe I should point you out to this thread:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=219817

quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
If GD opened a "C#/.NET Game Programming" forum, would all the "Can I program games in C#?" questions go away?
It won''t go away, but if Blizzard posted a WoW postmortem and stated that they used C#, it would go away.

Check my made topic for more info between the difference of C++ and C# - With some info about C#.... ;>

http://gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=219596

D

i find it a hassle at the moment. I think you have to use wrappers to set it up which is confusing to me. Plus, i couldn''t find anyway to use glut in .NET. If anyone knows how, please tell me.

recently, i found win32 API programming is powerful, it really is the way to make we done everything windows~!

quote:
Original post by tieTYT
I think you have to use wrappers to set it up which is confusing to me.
Er, what?

quote:
Plus, i couldn''t find anyway to use glut in .NET.
GLUT... eww.

Take a look at Tao and CsGL.

@pkelly83:
Didn''t I say something about flames? Watch it.

• Advertisement