robotics and C++ programming

Started by
20 comments, last by CProgrammer 20 years ago
quote:Original post by Promit
quote:Original post by frostburn
If you don''t want ANY logic on the robot itself you can only control 8 servos in 1 direction (on or off).

Sure you can. You simply have to use a smarter method, and you''ll need some control electronics on the board. There''ll be logic on the thing; it just won''t be someething as serious as a microcontroller or a BASIC stamp. Some relatively simple logic circuits, a couple ICs, and you''ve got 256 different messages you can send to the robot. Admittedly it''s not as simple, and you''re going to start adding more and more on-board circuitry, but you don''t need a stamp.

Duh

Obviously it would be possible to get more than 8 channels if you used a lot of AND, OR, NOT, XOR gates, but I''d go with the uC in that case, or maybe a combination. But then AND, OR, NOT, XOR ports are by definition logic. It''s also possible to avoid using ICs, but you need a lot of transistors..
Advertisement
I''m pretty sure there are some chips which have a 4-bit input and will make one of their 16 output pins HIGH depending on what''s coming in at the inputs. I don''t know the specific chip, though.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement