• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toadhead

PLEASE HELP, (C++ programming)

This topic is 5303 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, I want to program in C++! I have Visual C++ 6.0 and want to learn how to make programs! I have read some tutorials but they only tell me how to make "Console" aplications! But I want to make programs for windows! Just "normal" programs, that wil not run in DOS or something! Anyway.. how do I start? I have Visual C++ 6.0 but I want to make my first program with it! I would like to buy s book...but I'm from the Netherlands... and there only a few books about C++! I'm very confused.. what does "GNU" means? And API or MFC (if I'm right)??? Is it nessacary to learn first how to make console aplications, and THAN start making "windows" aplications.. or can I just start with what I want (the windows programs ) Also I'm confused about the difference between C#, C and C++! I was reading a tutorial about C/C++, the tutorial was written for C, will I be able to use that tutorial for C++??? HELPPPPPP!!! I don't understand it anymore lol... [edited by - Toadhead on April 11, 2004 12:09:40 PM]

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Toadhead
Anyway.. how do I start? I have Visual C++ 6.0 but I want to make my first program with it! I would like to buy s book...but I''m from the Netherlands... and there only a few books about C++!
Hmm... I''m afraid I don''t know which good books will be available to you. Most of them are in English; how good are you at reading+understanding English?

quote:
I''m very confused.. what does "GNU" means? And API or MFS (if I''m right)???

GNU is more or less the collective name for a large group of programs which are ''open source'' - that is, the source code for them is available for you. You''re allowed to do what you want with it, but if you add features and stuff and then try putting it back out on the web, you''re forced to release the source as well (because of the license the code comes with).

API is ''Application Programming Interface,'' and refers to a set of functions, classes or structures which libraries (such as the Windows programming library, or the DirectX library) give to you for you to use to program applications with. For example, the Windows API contains a function called CreateWindow(), which you can call to have Windows create an on-screen window for you.

MFC is ''Microsoft Foundation Classes,'' and is a set of classes written by Microsoft designed to make Windows programming in C++ easier. Rather than working with the Windows API directly, you can use MFC, which makes many of the things you''d want to do automatic. The downside is that it''s quite hard to learn, and it''s usually not as fast as doing it through the Windows API directly.

quote:

Is it nessacary to learn first how to make console aplications, and THAN start making "windows" aplications.. or can I just start with what I want (the windows programs )
Depends on how well you know the language. The Windows API is significantly larger and more complicated than the stuff you''d use for console programs (probably just the standard library), and it''s harder to conduct simple experiments to try stuff out. Many people prefer to start out with console programs, because that way they don''t have to deal with learning the Windows API and the language at the same time.

quote:
Also I''m confused about the difference between C#, C and C++!
I was reading a tutorial about C/C++, the tutorial was written for C, will I be able to use that tutorial for C++???
C, C++, and C# are all similar languages, but they are different in their own ways. The tutorial will probably work, but there might be better ways of doing things that aren''t possible in C but are possible in C++.

Aside from all that, have you checked out the Beginner''s Resources section yet, along with the Forum FAQ?

Its a good idea to start with console-applications to learn the basics of the language, win32 can be a bit tricky.

reality is only an option

You have to learn all the basics of C++ by using a console window because apsects of Windows Programming uses things you learned about during console programming.

This is a good book: http://www.research.att.com/~bs/3rd.html
I like the online tutorial here too: http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Use Google to look things up too. It's your best friend :D

GNU http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=define%3AGNU&btnG=Google+Search
API
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=define%3AAPI&btnG=Search

And I'll use the over used metaphor... You have to learn to craw before you walk.

- DarkNebula

[edited by - DarkNebula on April 11, 2004 12:14:43 PM]

quote:
I have read some tutorials but they only tell me how to make "Console" aplications! But I want to make programs for windows!
Console programming is always promoted first because it allows you to focus on learning how to program without being inundated by the technical complexities of the Windows programming model and API. That said, a straight Windows program in Win32 isn''t hard. Here''s a pretty good tutorial: winprog.org.

quote:
what does "GNU" means?
It means, oddly enough, "GNU''s Not Unix." (Long story.) A gnu is an animal (here''s a picture).

quote:
And API or MFS (if I''m right)???
MFC. MFC stands for the Microsoft Foundation Classes, a set of object-oriented wrappers around the Win32 Application Programming Interface (API) for authoring Windows GUI (graphical user interface) programs in C++. They''re being phased out, along with the Win32 API, in favor of Windows Forms and the .NET SDK.

quote:
Is it nessacary to learn first how to make console aplications, and THAN start making "windows" aplications?
It''s not necessary, but it''s highly recommended. Windows can be rather confusing.

quote:
Also I''m confused about the difference between C#, C and C++!
Look it up on the web. Search Google (Netherlands version) or Wikipedia (again, Netherlands version) for "what is C#", "what is C++" and "what is C".

quote:
I was reading a tutorial about C/C++, the tutorial was written for C, will I be able to use that tutorial for C++?
C++ is largely backwards compatible with C, so you can compile most - but not all - C code with a C++ compiler.

So in fact.. its recommandable to start with console aplications..

But ok.. when I start with programs like that.. is it easey to switch from consoles programs to "windows" programs?? I mean.. I''m affriad that I''m learning lots of things for console programs that will be totaly different when I want to make an windows program! I mean... isn''t it a complete different language???? For what I saw there is a big difference...

Yes.. I checked out the beginners ection abit but don''t realy found an answer to my question, maybe it is there but I can''t found it :/

Yes I also looked on Google but there only a few (if not no) tutorials for C++ in Dutch.. and only a few books, one over C# but I dunno if I can use that :/ and 1 or 2 other books that doesn''t sound that interesting and can''t realy help me I think :''(

And even if I would English books.. can I buy them in shops here? I don''t want to buy things online :/

quote:
But ok.. when I start with programs like that.. is it easey to switch from consoles programs to "windows" programs?? I mean.. I''m affriad that I''m learning lots of things for console programs that will be totaly different when I want to make an windows program! I mean... isn''t it a complete different language???? For what I saw there is a big difference...
It''s the same language. Some of the functions will be different. You probably noticed WinMain for GUI vs main for console; that''s the accomodate the programming environment. The C++ standard allows you to replace the public entry point, but your new entry point must call the standard one (ie, WinMain internally calls a variant of main).

Don''t worry about it.

Can''t help you with books, particularly if you want local stores. Might I recommend going to a bookstore and asking the clerk?

hm.. same language..

ok.. the main() and WinMain() is diferent.. but also the "#include <iostream.h>" and "#include <windows.h>", and things like cout>>"blabla"; and cinn<

quote:

As Oluseyi has said, no, it''s the same language. The only thing that changes is the APIs you use, and even then you''ll usually find that you can use most of the standard library under Windows anyway. Think of it like this: it''s the same language with the same grammar and so on, but the vocabulary is going to be bigger. It''s the same as when you learn about something new in regular life; if you took up sailing as a hobby, for example, you''d find yourself learning a whole load of new words for parts of a ship and for its operating processes. Same thing here; you need to learn the "Windows jargon."

ok, thanks everybody.. so the best is to learn the "Console" language first (the standerd C++ language), and when I understand that I must try to learn the "windows jargon".. :/

ok I will try it.. btw does anyone have a idea how long it wil take? How long do I need to spend into the normal C++ console language before I can program windows aplications? 6 months? 1 year? Or do I need to understand anything perfectly before I can start learning how to program/programming windows aplications?

[edited by - Toadhead on April 11, 2004 12:49:20 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!