• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

llvllatrix

help wtih abstract for paper on natural effects

This topic is 5155 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hay guys. Im writing an article for game programming gems 5. In order for my article to be accepted, the editors have to evaluate my abstract; the idea is that you should want to read the rest of the paper once you read the abstract:
quote:
Grass Simulation and other Natural Effects Graphical immersion is, in part, determined by quality of behavior. Unfortunately, simulating natural effects like wind blowing over grass involves significant computational overhead. Overhead can be reduced by first examining an existing methodology used for water simulation. The methodology can then be extended to simulate other natural effects. This gem has three goals: To reduce the memory requirements of the previous methodology; to provide an algorithm for simulating grass that is easily implemented and robust; to provide a general approach to simulating effects involving the movement of energy through a collection of objects.
If you want to see a crude example of the effect, check out this demo: http://members.rogers.com/ramrajb/Downloads/minic1.zip Note how the grass moves when the ball is hovering over it...

Advertisement
No offense but it looks extremely bad (i''m speaking of the grass effect). So bad that i''m actually wondering if there''s no bug ? The grass blades seem to be randomly flickering when the ball moves over them.. it doesn''t look realistic at all.. or i''m missing the point. I got a Radeon 9700.

The abstract perhaps shouldn't deal so much with the specifics of the technique. Actually, I guess it's not that bad.

And, if that demo is even remotely representative of the intended effect, I'd encourage you not to submit it at all. The editors of the GPGs have let some stinkers in, and they really lower the quality of the series as a whole.

[edited by - zealouselixir on April 11, 2004 3:44:05 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!