• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

llloyd

Threading?

This topic is 5245 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just getting into game/graphics programming, and for one of my first projects I decided to create a "game" that just draws large prime numbers. it works fine at first, spinning very fast, but of course it takes longer and longer to calculate the next one and the frame rate drops and drops. is the correct solution to make my program have two threads, one for drawing and the other for calculating? i''m using directx9 but i can''t imagine that makes any difference. llloyd

Advertisement
How exactly do you calculate the next number.

Say you have a loop or something, you can just pause the loop, draw your scene, resume the loop.

numbers As New System.Collections.ArrayList

Sub main()
Dim i As Integer = 0

Dim numbers As New System.Collections.ArrayList
numbers.Add(2)

For i = 2 To 10
If (IsPrime(i)) Then
numbers.Add(i)
End If
Next
End Sub

Function IsPrime(ByVal number As Integer) As Boolean
Dim i As Integer

IsPrime = False

For Each i In numbers
If (number Mod i) = 0 Then
Exit Function
End If
If i >= System.Math.Sqrt(number) Then
Exit For
End If
Next
IsPrime = True
End Function

how would you then determine how many loops to do before exiting? presumably 1 calc for 1 frame wouldnt be the most efficient...

llloyd

PRECALCULATE THE SQUARE ROOT OF NUMBER. Every loop you''re taking the sqrt of it, which is an expensive operation indeed. Just calculate it when you run the function, save it to a variable, and check against that.

His question seemed to be more in regards to if it would be proper to use seperate threads, and not whether is system of calculating the prime was proper.

Regardless of his question, he should still avoid that mistake when programming. Thread or not, that should give a big speed boost with larger numbers.

So where are you calling the drawing code from?

do something like this:

sub mainloop()
dim hist as integer

do while not closing
drawscene
hist = figureoutnextprime(hist, 20)
loop
end sub

function figureoutnextprime(seed as integer, ms as long) as integer
dim start as long
dim i as integer
start = gettickcount()

for i = seed to collection.count - 1
''your calculations
if gettickcount - start >= ms then
if i = collection.count - 1 then
figureoutnextprime = 0
else
figureoutnextprime = i+1
end if
exit function
end if
next i
figureoutnextprime = 0
end function

something like that

I don''t think there really is a solution to your problem. It''s difficult to calculate large prime numbers. So far as calculating the square root every time through the loop, a smart compiler should figure that out for you since number is a local variable and its value is never changed (i''m speaking for C/C++ here, other languages might not be as optimised). A multithreaded program could possibly speed things up to some extent. You are likely waiting for some system resources at some point in time during your drawing routine and you''d be able to hold the CPU for prime number calculating during that period if that section of your code was in a different thread. But you probably won''t make it much further before your program slows to a halt regardless.

sorry if i wasnt more specific, i''m not actually calculating large prime numbers, but i do have a similiar expensive calculation.

sounds like i really should just try and break it down by some arbritrary number into steps and perform it a number at a timer, per frame. sounds reasonable enough, just have to play around and find out how many steps to perform at once by guesswork.. ?

llloyd

Create threads that will calculate the prime numbers before you actually need them, and that way everything can continue along. Store them all in a table, and just keep precalculating.

The more you dig deeper, the slower the calculations will go. This is just that way things go. And not even having threads precalculating the result will help.

Of course, you could be tricky and have a crazy amount of prime numbers precalculated in a file. I think you might be able to download somewhere a very long list of all the prime numbers calculated up to this date, and just put them into a file.

That way, you won't even have to do any calculating at all. However, you WILL run out of prime numbers...but if you want to keep the program running and not just stop at the end of your list, just have the program go in reverse.

[edited by - Programmer One on April 12, 2004 1:32:03 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!