gcc on a webserver

Started by
6 comments, last by Drath 20 years ago
Warning: Newbie Alert!!! I have bought some space on a host and I am trying to test all the limitations. I cannot go into it using Telnet so to get to the shell so I am using some cgi script to manipulate it. It seems I can do quite a bit through this. I canot use 'vi' as it reports "Vi's standard input and output must be a terminal" which I don't really understand, but I can get through to many other bits. I can do 'make' BUT once it has to use gcc I get 'gcc : Permission denied'. I get this same message with anything I try with gcc and I am assuming this will hold for the other compile tools. I guess this is because I do not have 'owner' access. So can I circumvent this by installing gcc et all somewhere and use my version? If so, where can I download the binaries? I have no idea which verson and since it always comes with the distros normally I cannot seem to find one around on the net. What I want is the ability to compile and excecute on this server so if this really will not be possible I would appriciate someone telling me before I waste all too much time. Thanks! // edit // changed to : P [edited by - Drath on April 11, 2004 5:50:04 PM]
Advertisement
New tidings...

gcc did not work but for some reason g++ did...
I was expecting that both would not, but does g++ do the same thing as gcc? I have not used either one much. I have only ever experimented by compiling single files.
Linking is next...
make seems to use gcc. Is there any way I can change this? I guess it is through the makefile so I will check that.
When they cancel your account, you should know why.
quote:Original post by C-Junkie
When they cancel your account, you should know why.

::Sorry in advance for the "me too" post::

HA! I found that completely amusing, thanks! I can''t add to your response - it sums it up rather succiently.
I find it rather amusingly devoid of any useful information...
I see no reason they should do any canceling. There is nothing in the user agreement that stops me using g++ considering that I am not hacking to get to it. While I have no permission to use gcc I have not been kept from g++. If you can explain CONSTRUCIVELY why I might be canceled for something like that I would appriciate it because might prove to be a little expensive...

Anyway, it seems I can get an excecutable compiled and running on the server. Going to have to see if I can find much of a use for it...
When in doubt you might ask them... They might have made a goof when they installed gcc if they meant for it to be accessed as you are trying... After all, if you are not doing anything wrong there is no harm asking them why you cannot access gcc but you can g++. Yes, definitely sounds like a bug on their end.
Are you sure you can''t use ssh to get shell access?

kezz

-------------------------
Visit the #directxdev channel on irc.afternet.org

My homepage
-------------------------0 A.D.
quote:Original post by Drath
I am trying to test all the limitations...I cannot go into it using Telnet...so I am using some cgi script to manipulate it...I get ''gcc : Permission denied''...I guess this is because I do not have ''owner'' access...can I circumvent this

Looks to me like they don''t want you doing this.

What service is this?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement