• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Measuring Characters

This topic is 5064 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m trying to make a font class (D3DX Font is good and all, but..) and i''m wonhering how to measure the size of characters in two aspects using the .net graphics class unless there''s anything better: 1 The size of characters with all it''s extrusions e.x. the letter j in most fonts goes into the space of the letter before... (courier is not a good example) 2 The size of characters used with spacing (excluding extrusions) Thx in Adv.

Advertisement
Included in the sample framework (in the SDK) is a D3DFont class (located in d3dfont.cpp/h). It''s like ID3DXFont, except it shows you how to do everything. I would suggest looking at that source code.

However, what is wrong with ID3DXFont? It was very slow in the past, but now it is optimized and about as fast as you can get. Also, it wraps everything up very nicely, so you barely have to do anything. I would suggest just using that over spending a lot of time writing your own.

Dustin Franklin
Mircrosoft DirectX MVP

• Advertisement