What class to take?

Started by
8 comments, last by bioagentX 20 years ago
I''m having trouble deciding what classes to take next year. I know I''m going to take the following Lit(I have to) AP computer programming, Calculus BC AP, and Physics AP. I have one more block to fill and I don''t know if I should fill it with Statistics AP, or a history class. I really would rather take the Stat class, but I don''t know if colleges would look down on that for only taking one real humanities course. I was wondering what some of you may have thought, or what advice you would give. Is it good to take all Sci/Math classes? Will colleges think less of me if I take the Stat? Any help or advice is appreciated, I''m having a very difficult time deciding. Oh, and by the way, is Statistics used in professional game programming? --BioX
There are three types of people in this world, those who can count, and those who can't
Advertisement
This depends mostly on the college you intend on attending. Most colleges have minimum requirements on how many units of each category of classes. For example, where I did undergrad, the school required engineering students to have two years of social sciences as a minimum. However, if you already meet the minimum requirements, many schools perform admittance primarily on SAT/ACT scores and GPA. So if you have good tests scores you might just want to take the course that sounds like it will be more fun/help you more in the future. But seriously, you should talk to your school''s guidance counciler about this one.
First, talk to your college advisor about it.

Second, how many history courses have you taken? Have you taken European History and American History already?

Finally, it depends where you apply. If you want to go to a tech school, or to an engineering program, go for the stats. If not, just think about it. Personally, I''d still pick stats, (AP class, and you''re interested in it) but your call.
Yes it is good to take all sci/math classes. If you don''t, you''ll never escape the cruel humanities teachers.

Get applyable knowledge, that is sci/math.
History is knowledge of all that doesn''t matter anymore.

That''s what I think of it.
Why do my programs never work on other computers?
quote:Original post by Koroljov
History is knowledge of all that doesn''t matter anymore.

"Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it."

But usually those who do study history still repeat it.
I am taking AP Statistics right now, and let me tell you, it is one of the easiest classes I have. You don't even have to get 70% of the questions right to get a 5. I think a history class might be fun if you are into what they are talking about, but AP Stats is busy work. I'm just a freshmen in high school, so you probably don't want to listen to me.

Sagar Indurkhya

PS: You can learn some really good material that can easily be applied to game programming, such as probability distribution theory, and such.

[edited by - Sagar_Indurkhya on April 15, 2004 12:55:00 PM]
Colleges also look for well-rounded applicants, so you should keep that in mind.

How many years of history have you already taken in History? If you''ve done three at least, then go for the Stats class.

If you''ve only done one, definetely go for the history class.

If you''ve taken two, the choice is a little more difficult. I would suggest taking history, simply because programming, calc BC, and physics AP are all very technical classes, and you''ve only got one humanities class this year. If you''re applying to a school that''s more scientifically oriented, Calc BC, Physics AP, and programming will be more than enough to convince them of your interests and abilities, so don''t feel like the Stats class is necessary.

Good luck on your applications.
quote:Original post by Gauvir_Mucca
Colleges also look for well-rounded applicants, so you should keep that in mind.

Incorrect. Colleges look for a well-rounded class . That means there should be star mathematicians, star scientists and historians and musicians and artists. While it''s nice to show that you can handle different subjects, excelling at one thing (but showing that you enjoy many other things) is a first-class ticket into a first-class school.
If you haven''t taken any history, then you must - stats is electoral. Is it History AP? If it''s just another history class, take the AP stats class.

With that class line-up, what matters is your class ranking and your ACT (for in-state uni.) or SAT score (for out-of-state). You''re already over qualified for half of the universities out there. The choice you need to make is Free or Big Name. With a high-enough ACT, class ranking, and the right school, they will actually pay you to go to school there.

One example of statistics in games is to track abnormal character conditions in online games (bugs and cheaters).
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement