• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crosis

Hello everone

This topic is 5357 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everone, Hello everone My name is chris and I am new to this fourms. I was just stoping in to say hello to this communtiy and see how ever is doing and also ask a question are to, with hopes of not geting flamed. First question is that I am intrsetd in makeing a morpg, not a mmorpg yet, I know how hard it is to make a mmorpg and I wanted to go with something smaller for two reason, One I dont plane on having thousand and thousands of people playing my game casue i am not so huge company with milions and milions of dollars to spend on making a mmorpg. I am kinda of new to programing I have some backround in c c++ vb and javascript. I am not a expert progamer but I think I can do this, I was wondering though can a morpg still have the same featurs as a mmorpg as in such have guilds class chnager npc and so on and so on. Well that is all I had to ask, sorry if my typing are enlgish is bad just finshed adding a room on to my house and I am really tired but like I sayed hope to talk to all of you soon. And if I posted this in the wrong section I am sorry and I ask a mod to move it to the right one please if it is in the wrong section.

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by crosis
I was wondering though can a morpg still have the same featurs as a mmorpg as in such have guilds class chnager npc and so on and so on.

It''s your game, you can have whatever you like. However, you might realize after a month, how time consuming these little features would take to implement.

From the looks of it, you''re trying to create a second Ragnarok Online.

That being said, you should work on a simpler project if you''re "kinda new" to programming. Such as the cliché yet timeless classic Tetris clone or somesuch.

Design-wise, however, nothing''s stopping you from implanting what you''ve described. Just take things one step at a time and keep in mind you''ll probably end up chopping out a few features by the time you''re done (such as stuff that''s too hard to implant or stuff that just doesn''t sound as good as you thought it''d be).

Guest Anonymous Poster
Thank''s for asnwering my post, I was also wondering if I could use Delphi as my complaire for my game, I know alot of people use visual c++ and I dont know if you can use Delphi to make my game and if has anyone used it make a game before? Also can it use Direct x to?

quote:
Original post by crosis
I am kinda of new to programing...

In which case stick to single player. Or go for split-screen. Or network turn-based.

In any case, network games are VERY difficult even with a relatively small number of players - they pose all sorts of new problems which don''t happen in single machine games.

IMHO, you need to be an expert programmer who can trivially solve most other problems before tackling big(ish) multiplayer stuff.

Mark

You can make your game in any languaje. I just recomend you C\C++ because of its great power to manage things. Maybe you can find easy to use delphi but then you will find C is better.

You can use Directx, SDL, Opengl, etc for your games you have to see which library is the best for you and your game.

Well so good look.

I would say that you should get yourself a good book to work through rather than studying from online tutorials. I would recommend "Programming Role Playing Games With DirectX" by Jim Adams. It''s good and should help you as it''s applicable to what you want to program. It uses C++ though not Delphi.

i''ve been on these forums for years and I still don''t get whats the deal with morpg.

Owl, I know what you mean.

crosis:
Since you''re new to programming, it might be a good idea for you to start with something simple- like console-based tic tac toe- rather than dive into a full RPG... much less a MMORPG. It is the most common trend in all of programming for new kids to come in, and ask how to do MMO games- "Hello World" is for whimps! Please try to get the basics of programming before attempting such a stunt that will put you off programming forever. Try the "For Beginners" forum for your beginning programming topics and "The Lounge" for casual non-programming topics. Trust me, you''ll have fun at GDnet- welcome to the community.

- CD

// Brought to you by Code_Dark
| [( Politics Forum Beta-Test )]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!