• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

best way to learn DX

This topic is 5063 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

having done a lot of work with DX 7, mainly with directdraw, and tons of opengl, i want to finally learn DX 9. in your experience, what is the best way ot go about this? eg books, online tutorials, etc. any input would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Since you already know openGL, you should already know a lot of graphics theory, so Direct3D should not be incredibly difficult for you to learn (since it's just another API). I recommend that you check out any of the websites listed here. Also, the SDK Docs have some decent intro tutorials.

However, if you want to get into shaders, I would go out and get the Shader X2 books.

Dustin Franklin
Mircrosoft DirectX MVP

[edited by - circlesoft on April 11, 2004 9:21:53 PM]

I came from OGL too, and had no problems picking it up. Like circlesoft implied, once you know the theory a new API is easy. D3D isn''t as good an API in general as OGL IMHO, but the D3DX library makes it better for writing games as it can do a lot of things much easier than OGL. Try the tutorials at http://www.drunkenhyena.com/ - they should bring you up to speed pretty quickly. Buying a book would probably be a waste considering you already know the theory and have experience with OGL.

• Advertisement