• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jack_1313

Splitting a buffer of data in two sections (the size of the first is known)...

This topic is 5242 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a problem related to the transfer of data over a network via DirectPlay (Client-Server system). Basically, the computer receives data packets through a connection that vary in size (TCP). The data in a packet is represented using a PBYTE. However, while they may contain different amounts of data, all packets supposedly share a common attribute – the first piece of data in the buffer is a DWORD that defines the ‘type’ of packet. The idea is that I extract the DWORD from the data buffer and then read the remaining data depending on what the DWORD is. Put simply, I have the data buffer (PBYE) stored as pMsg->pReceiveData, and I need to take the first piece of data the size of a DWORD and store it in DWORD Id, and then take the rest of the data and store it in PBYE Data; It is a simple task extracting the DWORD from the buffer (C++):
DWORD Id;
PBYE Data;
memcpy( &Id, pMsg->pReceiveData, sizeof(DWORD) );
How can I go about taking the remaining data and inserting it into Data? I tried the following with no success:

#pragma pack(push, 1) // changes byte alignment to 1

struct TempMessage
{
	DWORD Id;
	PBYTE Data;
};
#pragma pack(pop) // changes byte alignment to 1

TempMessage * temp = (TempMessage*) pMsg->pReceiveData;

//The theory was that by doing this the first piece of data the size of DWORD ends up in

//temp->Id and the rest of it ends up in temp->Data. Predictably this did not work.

//I don’t think it is entirely relevant but here is how I was attempting to send messages:

WCHAR wszData[256];

//strcpy wszData to something…

TempMessage temp;
temp.Id = 10;
temp.Data = (BYTE*) wszData;

DPN_BUFFER_DESC dpnBuffer;
dpnBuffer.pBufferData = (BYTE*) &temp;
dpnBuffer.dwBufferSize = sizeof(char)*256 + sizeof(DWORD);

//Send dpnBuffer;

Any ideas? This is not exactly a networking specific problem, so if no solutions surface here can help me I shall ask in the General Programming (after this thread has disappeared from the first page)… Thanks for any help. Jackson Allan

Advertisement
Why don''t you just add a size member to your struct and fill it with the size of the data you are sending/receiving?

Here is something I used recently for file I/O: (typed from memory, removing some stuff to fit your scheme, so might be errors...)

struct myChunk
{
u8 type; // Data type being read/wrote

u8 size; // Size of buffer

BYTE buffer[]; // Data buffer

};

u8 rebuf[1024]; //read buffer

u8 size;
BYTE *dataptr;

// read data from file to rebuf

size = (myChunk)rebuf->size;
dataptr = (myChunk)rebuf->buffer;

// at this point we know our data is pointed to by dataptr and is size bytes long

NOTE: that isn''t very good programming style, and probably has symatic errors,but hopefully you get the idea

Drakonite

Shoot Pixels Not People

I do know the size of the data, but I do not see how that helps? I know the size of the whole buffer, and the size of the data in there that I need to extract for the new data buffer is that size minus the size of DWORD.
I tried your suggestion but the compiler game me a sum of errors . To state clearly, what I really need to know how to do is copy memory from an 'offset' inside the buffer, if that makes sense (Notice the capitalized section in the following code):

DWORD Id;
PBYE Data;
memcpy( &Id, pMsg->pReceiveData, sizeof(DWORD) );
memcpy( Data, SIZEOF(DWORD) INTO THE pMsg->pReceiveData, pMsg->pReceiveDataSize - sizeof(DWORD) );
//Need ignore the first piece of data the size of dword and
//start copying from beyond that point

[edited by - jack_1313 on April 12, 2004 6:21:40 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!