• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cube Maps - not supported on some?

This topic is 5005 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I recently had some trouble getting Direct X to do some cubic environment mapping on my laptop computer which uses a Savage IX (yea, it''s old, I know...) but the program wouldn''t let me even create CubeTextures for some reason. After spending about 2 hours trying to figure out why, I transferred the same exact project file and loaded it up on my PC with a GeForce 4 and it worked just fine (very well actually). Are CubeTextures just not supported on some hardware or is it some other problem? Is there a way around it if CubeTextures are not supported? Thanks!!!

Advertisement
Cube maps are not supported on some hardware (pre-TNT class).
You could project a single texture spherically to emulate static cubemapping, however the results can be very coarse, not to mention dynamic mapping.

-Nik

quote:
Original post by Coder
Open the capsViewer, and take a look. That''ll give you an idea what features are hardware-dependent.

Better yet, enable View->All Caps option in that program - and see what you''re missing

-Nik

Guest Anonymous Poster
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but can I safely assume, that ALL blending (both src and destiny) are available on EVERY 3-D card (well, at least on TNT or better)?

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
...can I safely assume, that ALL blending (both src and destiny) are available on EVERY 3-D card (well, at least on TNT or better)?

No. A quick look through my caps database shows, among other things, the following:

TNT class cards do not support BLENDFACTOR, either as source or destination blend. Furthermore, they do not support DESTALPHA or INVDESTALPHA as destination blend.

Radeon cards - all generations - do not support SRCALPHASAT as a destination blend.

[edited by - Mattias Welander on April 12, 2004 9:18:02 AM]

Wow, thanks to everyone for the replies
Is there a way to emulate a cube-texture for the mapping rather than doing a spherical for unsupported hardware?
My first try at implementing Cubic Environment Mapping was more manual because I wanted to learn how it would be done explicitly but the texture mapping didn''t work quite right. I think it might have been because I had all of the cube''s faces on one texture and left blanks on the parts. I had it so that I choose a face with the reflection vector''s greatest component and then offset the U-V coords with corresponding to each face but then it seemed to suffer from a problem with overlapping parts of the texture. Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Guest Anonymous Poster
Mattias, I''m trying to find you... I''m from TBT hub and i need your help with FINDCODEC...

Can you contact me at:

macgyver_g12@yahoo.com

Thanks

• Advertisement