• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CProgrammer

Atorun apps

This topic is 5302 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to make an autorun app for my CD. I used MFC-Dialogbased to achieve this. My question is what would you suggest for opening desired applications. Is ShellExecute reliable cause i''ve had problems with it before. What do apps like ''DemoShield'' do? -CProgrammer

Advertisement
Do you mean you want to have your app boot when an CD is inserted?

All you need for that is a file name AUTORUN.INF with this in it:
[autorun]
open=[your app name]

And of course ShellExecute is reliable, I am guessing you perhaps didn't pass correct params when calling it.

[edited by - Programmer One on April 12, 2004 2:30:24 AM]

You need to ensure that your EXEs are only linked against DLLs which everybody will have. Some versions of MSVC generate stuff dependent on a C runtime library which is not shipped with any current version of Windows (prior to XP?).

So either statically link against C runtime, or ensure that it''s a version that people are expected to have.

Obviously you will be wanting to test this against some images of machines with nothing else installed to ensure it works correctly. Vmware or something might be handy (or a multi-boot machine with lots of win. versions on)

Mark

quote:
Original post by markr
Some versions of MSVC generate stuff dependent on a C runtime library which is not shipped with any current version of Windows (prior to XP?).

You''ve been giving away program compiled in Debug mode, haven''t you?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!