• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dragun

Texture size limited to D3D or video card?

This topic is 5276 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve noticed when I load up a texture in D3D that is bigger than 256x256, it becomes anti-aliased when it is rendered (even in 2D with no camera fancy work). Is this related to D3D or the limits of my video card, which is a Radeon 9200 128MB. I''m clamping U\V coords and just have regular texture mapping enabled. Quite interesting as well is the fact my D3D tile library always rendered parts of its neighbors (anti-alias, of course) when a 768x384 file is loaded but untouched and precise when I used a 256x256 file. What gives? I would google this but I''m not sure how to word this.

Advertisement
create your textures without filtering
D3DX_FILTER_NONE

edit: it depends on your video card supporting non power of 2 textures, there are restrictions
the texture cap is D3DPTEXTURECAPS_NONPOW2CONDITIONAL
i have a geforce 2 and 3 and they both support
i did a quick scan of the internet and discovered geforce 4 and radeon 8500 also should support this texture cap
my friend has a radeon 9700 that supports it

[edited by - eFoDay on April 12, 2004 3:16:50 AM]

Hi
Although Direct3D always passes some restrictions on the features, but often the 3d cards are responsible for these problems. Try to use your textures with another formats, I''ve tested this way and it usually works. Also try to turn on linear texture filterings for your texture stages. It causes the speed to get down but really has cool effects on your textures.

quote:
Original post by Ðragun
I''ve noticed when I load up a texture in D3D that is bigger than 256x256, it becomes anti-aliased when it is rendered (even in 2D with no camera fancy work). Is this related to D3D or the limits of my video card, which is a Radeon 9200 128MB. I''m clamping U\V coords and just have regular texture mapping enabled.

Quite interesting as well is the fact my D3D tile library always rendered parts of its neighbors (anti-alias, of course) when a 768x384 file is loaded but untouched and precise when I used a 256x256 file. What gives? I would google this but I''m not sure how to word this.

Texture size limitations are because of the video card. Use the D3DCAPS stuff to detect what size textures the video card can handle. For my stuff, I usually write a class that can break up any size texture (load it in as a surface) into a composite of several textures (if the video card can''t handle it).

Then just write fuinctions for the class for drawing the texture, etc. It can be a bit complex, but it''s a useful learning tool.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!