• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Corroded

3D View Frustum

This topic is 5240 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m trying to figure out how to determine if something is inside/oustide my view frustum. I''m rather horrible at the math involved, and the DX SDK Cull example has been no help to me whatsoever. Does someone know where I might find a more real-world example of this? Some actual code or detailed pseudocode that demonstrates how to create the view frustum from a camera point, and a Look-At point, and then how to test if a point/sphere is inside this... Sorry, I know theres a lot of information out there, and I''ve been reading all I can find, but it all gets into some technical maths that I could learn better if I could see in action.

Advertisement
Thanks! That tutorial explains thing a little more at my level than everything else I've found. I've just got a few quick questions about the OpenGL implimentation of it however (I've never used OpenGL so I'm not 100% clear).

It appears that OGL uses a 16 element single-dimension float array as a Matrix. So when converting, would this be equal:

OGLMatrix[0] == DXMatrix._11
OGLMatrix[1] == DXMatrix._12
OGLMatrix[2] == DXMatrix._13
OGLMatrix[3] == DXMatrix._14

OGLMatrix[4] == DXMatrix._21
OGLMatrix[5] == DXMatrix._22
etc...?

Everything else makes sense to me, but I want to get the internal logic down right before I really start playing with any actual code.

[edited by - Corroded on April 12, 2004 5:46:56 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!