Virtual functions + linking errors

Started by
5 comments, last by PrettySneaky 20 years ago
I currently writing my first game and a problem has arisen. When i try to call a virtual function from my base class I get a linker error. This piece of code generate the same error. I use Visual Studio .NET...

class A
{
public:
   virtual void x();
   void test()
   {
      x();
   }
};

class B : public A
{
public :
   virtual void x()
   {
      cout << "B" << endl;
   }
};

[edited by - PrettySneaky on April 12, 2004 4:28:16 AM] [edited by - PrettySneaky on April 12, 2004 4:32:56 AM] [edited by - PrettySneaky on April 12, 2004 4:33:46 AM]
Advertisement
Post the error. Also, which of those functions have you actually provided bodies for?

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

Sorry forgot to add the body to the x function i B. Fixed the first messge now..

the error mess was:

error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual void __thiscall A::x(void)"(?x@A@@..etc)

If A::x() is virtual, you''ll need to either declare it pure virtual, or give it a body.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

Ahh..Thanx!

Problem fixed

OK!! So now the code builds and compiles just fine. But during run-time i get this annoying Debug error message.

It says something like:

Debug error!

Program d:\....etc..

R6025
-pure virtual function call

Abort Retry Ignore

What''s going on??
Sorry if i''m being insulting for asking this but you are trying to call the method from a base class pointer to a derived object aren''t you?

Also you didn''t cast the object to its base?

If you don''''t gosub a program loop you''''ll never get a sub-routine - Kryten Red Dwarf
If you don''t gosub a program loop you''ll never get a sub-routine - Kryten Red Dwarf

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement