• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

looking for better environment

This topic is 5151 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! In my quest for AI knowledge, I''ve been learning and implementing several techniques, but the sad fact is that I don''t know how to use them to its full potential. I was wondering how an intelligent bot looks for cover or for its mates. I''m not looking for hard-coded answers (point the cover spots in the map and send the bot there if some condition is found). I wonder how the bots find out that behind the wall is safer and how it chooses to go there. As I''m playing with evolving agents (to be honest I intend to play very soon, I''m not done with the libraries yet), how can I make an agent evolve to reproduce this kind of behaviour? Thanks! Cesar

Advertisement
Hi,

I don''t have a lot of experience with shooters, and the only one I worked on is FarCry Instincts (the console version)... From what I''ve seen in FarCry, level designers have to manually place hiding spots.

Game AI is all about getting the most realistic behavior with the least processing. If each bot analyzed the geometry of the level, you''d dramatically slow down your FPS

On the other hand, you could still preprocess the map, analysing each spots and testing wether they would be good hiding spots for your bot if he''s standing, crouched or in a prone position. If I remember well (sorry I didn''t read it again), this article on gamasutra explains how to preprocess the map.

HTH

e.

I should have explained better. Its not a shooter, it is a strategy game. But I''m going to make it in a way small armies can fight huge ones longer if the battleground is narrow (the big army can''t fit in the battlefield). So its not really looking for cover, but looking for a more appropriate battleground.

The problem is not finding these places, but knowing how to code an agent to go there if the need comes. And not only that, but making it learn how to use these spots (it should learn how to fight diferent armies, adapt, etc ). And the question remains: what tools can I use for that?

Anyway, GREAT resources at gamasutra and CGF-AI, thanks!!! I didn''t read ir all, but it looks promising. If they don''t answer my questions, they sure add some very interesting ones!

The URL BrianL provided, at cfg-ai.com, looked astounding, except for some broken links. Appears to be a fantastic resource.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!