• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

antareus

VS.NET 2003 pauses

This topic is 5328 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So aggravating. You''re scrolling through some code, happy as can be, and then bam....the editor just stops and you hear your HD going for 5-10s. What is inexcusable is that it happens not just when you come back to editing (not that it should happen when you''re TYPING TEXT in) but even on prolonged editing sessions. I have 512MB of RAM on this thing, do I need more? Honestly, VS.NET 2003 is pretty nice compiler-wise but it makes me see the value in going without the IDE completely. Intellisense is about gone on my current C++ project anyway.

Advertisement
I have not seen this in general editing but I''ve seen something similar when debugging large applications. Sometimes the IDE will go away for several minutes with no obvious rhyme or reason. I''ve guessed it''s off garbage collecting or re-balancing some of its internal data structions but I''m WAGing not making an informed guess based on evidence.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by antareus
I want proof that it is the GC when large portions of VS.NET 2003 are written in unmanaged C++.
Agree. I''d bet your delays have nothing to do with GC.

Are your harddrives slow or fragmented? Try to defrag and see if that helps.

Are you having many (very many) projects/files in your workspace? Will you see the same problem if you start vs.net and create a simple hello world project? Delete cache files (I think it is *.ncb, *.opt and *.suo).

Is your computer sluggish in general (disk test benchmark maybe)? Using Norton anti-virus? Try to disable anti-virus and see if that helps. What will task manager show in free physical RAM and handle count?) Any other process eating CPU?

What CPU do you have? Having 1 GB of RAM won''t hurt, but 512 MB should''t be as bad as you describe.

quote:
Are your harddrives slow or fragmented? Try to defrag and see if that helps.

Wow, I haven''t even filled up the drive and the windows defragmenter is recommending I defrag. I will definitely do this.

quote:
Are you having many (very many) projects/files in your workspace? Will you see the same problem if you start vs.net and create a simple hello world project? Delete cache files (I think it is *.ncb, *.opt and *.suo).

I see the problem in a solution with 9 projects but I have also seen it when working on school projects, which are just one project. As for hello world, I''m not certain, I will give that a try, it usually happens after awhile.

quote:
Is your computer sluggish in general (disk test benchmark maybe)?

Seems pretty zippy, at least the last time I played WoW or Halo.
quote:
Using Norton anti-virus? Try to disable anti-virus and see if that helps.

The real-time filesystem protection? I will try turning that off as well.

quote:
What will task manager show in free physical RAM and handle count?) Any other process eating CPU?

I assume by free physical RAM you mean "available physical memory," for which it reads, 283,196k, and 8663 handles from 39 processes total.

quote:
What CPU do you have? Having 1 GB of RAM won''t hurt, but 512 MB should''t be as bad as you describe.

2.54Ghz Pentium 4.

If I had to guess it was a certain feature, I''d say IntelliSense, so if none of the above work then I will just bite the bullet and turn it off completely. I hope the tooltips for parameter lists work without it, however.

Thanks for the response.

If you want to use VS.NET 2003, you really need a fast machine and lots of memory. At work, I program on a machine with 1GB RAM and it runs smooth as hell. I often work with solutions that have about 11 to 12 projects, and all the files (solutions, projects, source & compiled) are on a server. And I usually work several hours without restarting VS.NET. And when I do have to restart, it's because we work with several programmers on the same projects (but in different solutions) at the same time, and this sometimes causes the compiling/linking to fail.

If you see what you can do in the IDE, then I'd say the high system requirements are justified. The VS.NET code editor is pretty advanced, I haven't seen any IDE or text-editor that can offer what VS.NET has.

---
tommy online: http://users.pandora.be/tommycarlier

[edited by - Tommy Carlier on April 13, 2004 4:02:42 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!