• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

frustum culling, lod etc, but...

This topic is 5151 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

While making frustum culling, of implementing LOD rendering, one decreases manually the number of rendered vertices and polygons (excluded those invisible, or too small). That is we send less vertices to be processed by OpenGL, using our own processing routines. I wonder what is the reason we do that ? is it that we process each vertex better/faster than OpenGL does? i don''t think so ... or is the whole trick in the fact that we use bin/quad/oct trees, so that we do not check the visibility of all vertices, rather limit ourselves with a small number of them (according to the tree)? What are we better than OpenGL in? C++ RULEZ!!!

Advertisement
if you were to frustum cull every single vertex it would indeed be no better than opengl. However, most routines cull by object/mesh using bounding boxes and spheres. Even a small model could cut out 1000 vertices in a single check if the bounding sphere lies outside of the frustum. various trees do exactly what you guess, they allow us to ignore large segments of geometry because their parent nodes are invisible

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!