• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NecroMage

Limited Graphics Games

This topic is 5237 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was playing Mordor a while ago, and I really got thinking. So much more could be done with text and a few menus, icons, and pictures than the standard third-person rpg like Diablo. Actions and interactions could be so much more complex if they do not need to be drawn. A.I. could be incredibly life-like, and most importantly, the game-world could have more details than bloody Baldur''s Gate, with only a fourth of the production costs. I''ll go so far as to say that such a game could actually sell as well. Assuming that everything but graphics is outdone and maximized, the game could be extremely deep and immersive, not to mention fun. (By the way, I am leaning towards RPGs here)Of course, menus and pictures are necessary somewhat, to remove the BBS MUD feeling, as they say, a picture says a thousand words. Given all that, I think it''s time for me to start on a project, eh? What do you all think about this?

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by NecroMage
I''ll go so far as to say that such a game could actually sell as well.

I disagree with this. I like to think that i''m an intelligent gamer because i don''t dismiss a game because of the way it looks. I consider graphics to be low priority. But i really don''t think the rest of america is like me. I think if you tried to sell a text game like that every hick and casual player would say, "That game sucks, it doesn''t even have graphics". That''s just my prediction though, i could be wrong.

Then again, since production costs would be low like you said, maybe it could make a decent profit.

I''m confident that it wouldn''t sell much at all, but it could grow a long-lasting, smallish fan-base. Much like MUDs and Rogue-like games have done.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I''d love to see a game with limited, minimalistic graphics (wireframe) that used realistic sound instead. Thus bringing the game to life.

I don''t think such a game would sell though.

It''s a nice idea..but I believe the freely avaliable MUD''s and Rougelikes is filling the demand of that type of games quite effectivly. In short, I don''t think such a game would make any profit.

-Luctus

Statisticly seen, most things happens to other people.
[Mail]

quote:
I''m confident that it wouldn''t sell much at all, but it could grow a long-lasting, smallish fan-base.

I agree. From my experience, text-based or similar games generally have a small paying fan-base, but the fan-base is usually much more dedicated and willing to spend money once they''re into the game. You don''t get as many "casual" players with games like that.

But that''s no reason to think that you can''t make a good, or even great game with this method. If you make a fabulously popular game, you''ll be rich and famous and have money and women stacked thigh-deep in your mansion. If you make a great game, then you can be proud.

Start pandering, buddy.

I''ll let you guys take a look at the Design Doc as soon as I''m done writing it. I''m starting to think this could be a great game. I''ll have to get a team together, maybe I''ll pitch it to my employing company as a sort of side-project.

I think you are overestimating the amount of processor time that is used for graphics on modern games. A lot has been shoved off onto the graphics card. AI, physics, and scene management together eat up a lot of resources.

Also, I think these incredibly complicated/detailed games tend to end up like Battlecruiser 3000...buggy and not much fun. And if you take away the graphics you''ve just made it many times more difficult to create an immersive game experience.

Graphics cards do handle most of the work. However, the CPU still does figure out where things like positions of models, lines of sight, projectile trajectories, and all kinds of things that are totally unnecessary for a game that lacks graphical representation of the environment (I will have pre-rendered icons/pics and a map). Anyway, the point is not really about saving CPU power, but moreover production time. With an almost total lack of graphics, more production time can be spent on developing more important gameplay aspects.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!