• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leoric

Why switch to DirectX9 ?

This topic is 5274 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey @ll, if I would ask you why a guy (who knows OpenGL pretty good) should switch to DirectX9, what would you answer ? Bye, Leoric

Advertisement
well, theres no all encompassing reason. From what i hear (i only know some directX) DirectX and OpenGL are pretty equal. But some reasons would be if you wanted to work on a project using DirectX, or if you liked C# and microsoft alot.

Overall as long as you like OpenGL and are relatively proficent at it i see no good reason to change.

If you join a team that''s working on a DirectX 9 based game, you''d have a pretty good reason.

I personally strongly prefer Direct3D to OpenGL, but there''s absolutely no reason to switch to another if you''re already proficient in one. They do the same thing, after all.

It depends on your needs, what kind of work you''re going to be doing, and who the end customer is.

Both API''s are just ways to access the same underlying hardware. Both expose roughly the same functionality. One may do so in a more straight-forward fashion than the other, but in the end, the results will be the same.

neneboricua

I'', an ex-OpenGL programmer. I worked with OpenGL for about a year or so so I wasnt a ''John Carmack'' But I''ll tell you my personal reasons why I changed from API.

What I really lik about DirectX is that you have once company that develops the API, with OpenGL you have the ARB which slows things down. DirectX is one massive superb documented API with some nice samples and tutorials. Also if you want to have the latest tech then you need to download 3rd party hearders to make use of it (like shaders and multi-texturing) and also ATI and nVidia have there own OpenGL calls.

Well this is just my 2 cents. If I said something that is not correct then please tell, I dont want to spread any falls info

quote:
Original post by twix
I personally strongly prefer Direct3D to OpenGL, but there''s absolutely no reason to switch to another if you''re already proficient in one. They do the same thing, after all.

I agree with the guy completely. Except that I prefer OpenGL.

Er oh, and I don''t like Microsoft. So I guess I don''t really agree with him....

quote:
Original post by Leoric
if I would ask you why a guy (who knows OpenGL pretty good) should switch to DirectX9, what would you answer ?
Two words: Managed DirectX.

If nothing else, knowing both APIs could potentially be helpful in the future for getting a job or something. I only know DirectX, but whenever I feel like I have enough time, I hope to learn OpenGL as well. My employer has asked me a few times what it would take to move my stuff from Windows to Linux. Unfortunately, I have to tell him quite a bit, due to my lack of proficiency with Linux, and my utter lack of knowledge concerning OpenGL (and other libraries for things such as video playing and such). It''d probably look a lot nicer if I could offer employers options, as opposed to, "I can do it in DirectX, but that''s all."

Just on a side note, supporting Linux is ridiculous.
Blizzard can easily make their games run on linux because they support DirectX and OpenGL (since their games also run on MAC), but they never release Linux versions of their game because there isn''t a big enough user base to warrent supporting them.

quote:
Original post by Unsuspected
Just on a side note, supporting Linux is ridiculous.
Blizzard can easily make their games run on linux because they support DirectX and OpenGL (since their games also run on MAC), but they never release Linux versions of their game because there isn''t a big enough user base to warrent supporting them.

Oh, if Blizzard doesn''t support Linux I suppose there''s no reason for anyone else to, then...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!