• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Freysi

Generating a single midi note and playing it immediately

This topic is 5242 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Not sure whether I''m in the right forum for this... All I need to do is to generate a midi note and play it immediately. Like for example playing a note whenever a ball strikes a surface. I''ve tried using DirectMusic but got totally lost in all the crap surrounding it. I actually had no problem getting DirectMusic to play a pre-existing midi file, but generating a singular event and playing is another story. Can anybody help?

Advertisement
Do you want to play a random note or the same one? Either way, if you can get a MIDI file to play then you can get a DM segment to play just as easily.

The simplest way would be to write a script in DMP which does what you like, then call that subroutine from within your program every time the event takes place.

Give me a bit more info and I''ll help you out.

You need to generate a note-on event to start the note and a note-off event (with the same channel and the same note) to end the note. There needs to be a delay between them otherwise the note will be too short, so you''re program will need to know when to go back and do the note-off, unless you have some way around that.

How to generate the events using DirectMusic is beyond me, I only know about it in Allegro, and it only takes a few lines.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!