• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BradDaBug

gdb hates me

This topic is 5298 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was checking out my landscape engine with valgrind (it works with nvidia drivers! WOOT!) and apparently it found an invalid memory access and threw a segfault. It wouldn''t tell me where it happened (well, it did, but I need more info) so I decided to check it out with gdb. Except now whenever I run gdb and try to "run" the program, I get this error:
Starting program: *name of program*
Cannot exec : No such file or directory.

Program exited with code 0177.
You can''t do that without a process to debug. 
What''s that mean? What''s going on?

Advertisement
are you sure you were in the directory of the executable (shouldn''t hurt, but could help), and jsut ran

gdb name_of_executable

?

Yep, I'm in the right directory and everything.

It seems like gdb gives that error for any program I try to debug, not just my landscape engine.

Edit: I can also try to use gdb through Anjuta and Anjuta gives message boxes with similar messages.

Edit #2: It works when I login as root, but not as a regular user.

[edited by - BradDaBug on April 12, 2004 6:00:38 PM]

Yes, used -g.

It''s wierd, but I completely shut down X and logged back in and it worked. I hope this doesn''t mean I can''t use Valgrind and gdb together without pain and torture.

I don''t mean at the same time, I mean using Valgrind to test it, then exiting Valgrind, then running gdb on the same executable. That''s not a problem, is it?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!