gdb hates me

Started by
19 comments, last by BradDaBug 20 years ago
I was checking out my landscape engine with valgrind (it works with nvidia drivers! WOOT!) and apparently it found an invalid memory access and threw a segfault. It wouldn''t tell me where it happened (well, it did, but I need more info) so I decided to check it out with gdb. Except now whenever I run gdb and try to "run" the program, I get this error:
Starting program: *name of program*
Cannot exec : No such file or directory.

Program exited with code 0177.
You can''t do that without a process to debug. 
What''s that mean? What''s going on?
I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement
are you sure you were in the directory of the executable (shouldn''t hurt, but could help), and jsut ran

gdb name_of_executable

?
Yep, I'm in the right directory and everything.

It seems like gdb gives that error for any program I try to debug, not just my landscape engine.

Edit: I can also try to use gdb through Anjuta and Anjuta gives message boxes with similar messages.

Edit #2: It works when I login as root, but not as a regular user.

[edited by - BradDaBug on April 12, 2004 6:00:38 PM]
I like the DARK layout!
version of gdb, and version of kernel?
gdb 5.3, Debian kernel 2.4.25-1-386
I like the DARK layout!
weird.

reportbug it.
You compiled with -g, right?
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
Yes, used -g.

It''s wierd, but I completely shut down X and logged back in and it worked. I hope this doesn''t mean I can''t use Valgrind and gdb together without pain and torture.
I like the DARK layout!
whoah. At the same time? Of course not. only one process can ptrace-attach to another process.
I don''t mean at the same time, I mean using Valgrind to test it, then exiting Valgrind, then running gdb on the same executable. That''s not a problem, is it?
I like the DARK layout!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement