• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RaphaelMun

Hardware Independent Cube Mapping?

This topic is 5299 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Has anyone successfully implemented this before without Direct X''s CubeTextures? How could this be achieved? The only documents I could find used Cube Textures in either DX or GL except for one article that said you could do Cube Mapping through splitting of the polygons by each map face or tiling lots of the faces but failed to explain much about it. Any tips would be GREAT. Thanks so much!

Advertisement
You''d have to distinguish the geometry corresponding to the "cube" manually, split the parts which span across multiple texture faces and finally render potentially six different sets of geometry, each with their own texture.
I believe it goes without saying, but this is extremely slow.
I also think it''s more trouble than it''s worth, since all decent cards since Geforce 2 do support cubemaps on hardware.

If you''re still determined to do the mapping on software, the SDK has the algorithm used to sample texels from cubemaps (if I remember correctly).

-Nik

So you want to do cube mapping on hardware that doesn''t support cube mapping, right? You''ll need to go back to the original papers and such that describe cube mapping without the support of hardware.

I''m not even sure you can do this without hardware support. Before hardware had the ability to do cube mapping, cube maps were almost totally regulated to software renderers.

You would need to have six surfaces that you render the different sides of the cube map into. Then you would need a way to compute the reflection vector that is used to perform a look up into the appropriate face of the cube map. You could do this with shaders but any hardware that supports shaders will also support cube mapping anyway.

Perhaps there is another way to achieve the effect you want without using a cube map. What is it that you''re trying to do? For example, if you just need a looking-glass type of mirror, you don''t need a full cube map. You can use a stencil mirror instead.

neneboricua

Guest Anonymous Poster
Sphere mapping might be a better option for you.

I''m trying to make a car simulation but my main computer for dev''ing is my laptop with the S3 Savage. I guess I''ll have to go with Spherical Mapping. Thanks a lot for the replies!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!