• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RedRabbit

Finding files on comp?

This topic is 5155 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys is there a way to use ifstream with directories IE: C:\Hello.txt?? When i try to implement it into the ifstream function it obviously gives me an error due to needed quotes in the argument list. this is what ive tried and i get nothing: int main() { string s; ifstream in("C:''\''Hello.txt"); getline(in, s); cout << s; return 0; } thats a simple example and i just cant grab that file out of c: any suggestions? thanks!

Advertisement
The backslash character is used to indicate an escape sequence in a string. To include a single or double quote in a string, you''d do:
"This is a single quote: \'', while this is a double quote:\"" 

Obviously, this makes it difficult to include a literal backslash in a string. You have to escape the backslash thus:
"This is a Windows path: \"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\"" 

Alternatively, you can use a forward slash for paths. C (and thus C++) has a Unix heritage, so it interprets Unix-styled paths correctly:
ifstream fin("C:/Documents and Settings/Oluseyi/My Documents/Bah.txt"); 

thanks i beleive its finding the file but now i seem to have some logic errors. what im attempting to do is read from a text file and print a string from it onto my console. this isnt making sense because when i simply do:

ifstream in("Hello.txt");

to open in a read format i can easily store a string and print to the console when Hello.txt is in the Debug/Project folder. the problem presents itself when I try to locate a file (Hello.txt embedded within C: ) and read from it, I get a blank string output (as if nothing is in the file) when there actually is text. what am i doing? thanks.

[edited by - RedRabbit on April 12, 2004 10:39:42 PM]

Simple Explanation Of Code:

#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

void main() {

char choice;

ifstream in("C:/Program Files/Hello.txt/");

string s;

getline(in, s);
cout << s << endl;
cout << "ending enter a character..." << endl; //Irrelivent dont pay attention to this

cin >> choice; // or this :)

}

Try removing the trailing slash. i.e.:
ifstream in("C:/Program Files/Hello.txt");

The way you have it may be trying to open a directory named Hello.txt.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!