• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Changings strings to variables

This topic is 5063 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi People ! I''m making a random number guessing game and I have a probleme I can only get my data in a form of strings. I know that changing variables to strings is a sinch but what about changing a string o a variable. If this isn''t possible well then here is my situation : I''m making a random number guessing game in window32 api and I''m using a edit box to get my data. I''m using the function : GetWindowText() to get the data out of the edit box and it comes in a string. Is there any way to get that in a form of number. Thanx in advance ! Kevin

Advertisement
basically atoi changes a given string buffer to an integer and i believe atof changes it to a real number (float variable). to get the integer just create an int variable to store the number in and a string variable to have for GetWindowText. for example

int number; //storage for the number.

char string[5]; //4 numbers long + 1 terminating char.

GetWindowText(/*bla bla*/);
number = atoi (string);

also if u haven't already, u might want to make your edit box only accept numbers by adding ES_NUMBER to the style list (WS_CHILD etc.)

hope that helps

[edited by - the_moo on April 13, 2004 1:51:43 AM]

atoi is not standard C. It is not standard C++. It is not posix. It is windows dependent. For this situation, prefer boost::lexical_cast if you are using C++.

Edit: I realise the OP is using Win32. Even so, appropriate portability practices are never unwelcome.

[edited by - flangazor on April 13, 2004 10:29:28 AM]

Apologies for the confusion. I do believe I was thinking of itoa.

Thankyou for correcting me.

[edited by - flangazor on April 13, 2004 11:34:31 AM]

search first: this question comes up more than anything

you may say you love this community but you're boring us to death by asking the same question again.

are you using c++? there are lots of nice safe ways to do this.

edit: link to other thread

[edited by - petewood on April 13, 2004 11:47:28 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by flangazor
atoi is not standard C. It is not standard C++. It is not posix. It is windows dependent. For this situation, prefer boost::lexical_cast if you are using C++.

Edit: I realise the OP is using Win32. Even so, appropriate portability practices are never unwelcome.

<SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - flangazor on April 13, 2004 10:29:28 AM]</SPAN>

So it''s not posix eh, well then I guess the man page is lying:

CONFORMING TO
SVID 3, POSIX.1, BSD 4.3, ISO/IEC 9899. ISO/IEC 9899:1990 (C89) and
POSIX.1 (1996 edition) include the functions atoi() and atol() only;
C99 adds the function atoll().

quote:
atoi is not standard C. It is not standard C++.

atoi() is a standard C99 and C++ function

quote:
atoi is not standard C. It is not standard C++. It is not posix. It is windows dependent.

Are you sure you don''t mean itoa?
atoi(), as previous posters have said, is standard.

-Mezz

• Advertisement