• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

demonrealms

This is the last straw

This topic is 5158 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m getting tired of this god damned FLASH MX. WHY...WHY! Does it have to be so damn picky. It''s teh dumbest language I''ve ever seen. I go through tutorials and more tutorials that say o...thsi is easy, well easy my ass I''ve been on thsi thing since 2:00 pm today. AND I''M TIRED OF IT! I just want to get the damn variables in sitenews.txt to display in my flash file. That''s all I want, why is that so much to ask. It just sits there being retarded. Here''s my useless code:
_root.loadVariables("sitenews.txt");
I have a Dynamic Textfield named: news. I want it so the varible news in sitenews.txt displays in the textbox: news. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Advertisement
I''m far away from being an expert in Flash / ActionScript. But what I''m definitely missing here is something like news.text = ...

And since I guess that your text field "news" is placed on _root, you should either rename the text field or the variable .

What you could do for example is trace output the variable''s value. This is achieved by trace("news="+your_news_variable);

I strongly recommend you to syntax-check everything because flash WON''T tell you if you double define a variable or "accidentally" create a new one by mis-typing it ...

Hope that helped!

Indeterminatus

--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--

Sad enough, I''m still confused. I don;t know why _root is there, they don''t explain it well enough(the tutorial I read).
It just says: create a sitenews.txt fiel and in it put: &news = Nothing happened. Then it says now put in your flash document under frame 1: _root.loadVariables("sitenews.txt"); MY whole code total is

stop();
news.loadVariables("sitenews.txt");

My textfield is named news. That''s all there is to it, am I missing somthing?

http://www.visualxtreme.com/flash_tut1.html

maybe this helps a bit. although i haven''t really looked it through, i noticed some differences to what you have ...

Indeterminatus

--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!