When performance matters...

Started by
12 comments, last by Russell 20 years ago
quote:Original post by antareus
So you took a well-known native version and pitted it against a quick C# implementation and was disappointed when it didn''t measure up?
I wouldn''t call it a "quick C# implementation." Someone else spent several months implementing it. I only spent a few minutes compiling it and running well known computer chess benchmarks to test the speed of it. If you want to try it yourself, download the source code: #Chess. Compare that with Crafty. Crafty isn''t even a particuarly fast program as far as dumb bean counting goes. I could write something a good deal faster if speed is all we are testing (and not how well it plays chess).
Advertisement
Have you looked into the D programming language? It looks like a nice balance between power and how clean it is. In my opinion, C++ just seems very bloated compared to C and D.
Fortran is supposed to be good for numerical performance. I don''t know much about it, but I believe that certain rules regarding variables make it a lot easier for the compiler to make as many optimisations as possible.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]
Ah I misinterpreted you.

OK, then use C++. Just sit down and start coding, you''re not responsible to anyone.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement