can u...

Started by
5 comments, last by byrdJR 19 years, 10 months ago
export 3d meshes from programs, like maya or 3ds max, to opengl?
Peace!
Advertisement
Well, I really don''t know much (if anything) about 3d programming, but as far as I know, there isn''t an OGL format, so you''ll probably have to parse the 3d file data from within your program. However, DX has a file format most editors can export to. It''s called ".X".
And if your lucky enough, you just might have an option to export a mesh from 3ds to c-header file, which you can just add to your project and use the arrays(vertex, normals, texcoords, ect...) defined in the exported header file.
damn, ive just been through all this with my DX code and i know its a pain.

to export to the .X format mentioned earlier you will need a plugin (at least for Max 6 that i use), unfortunatlely i know diddly squat about OGL so I dont know what format the meshes have to be in. the MSDN documentation was a great help for me so i suggest checking out the OGL docs for some hints.
I''m not sure about 3DS and Maya, though I''m sure they have a scripting system or plug-in format of some sort you could leverage. Personally, I use Blender, which provides a Python scripting interface that allows me to write scripts to export mesh and animation data in my own specialized formats.

3D mesh data is 3D mesh data, regardless of whether you use Direct3D or OpenGL to draw it. If you have or can find code to load a particular format that your tool of choice exports natively, go ahead and use it, even if it is .X, DXF, PLG or whatever. OpenGL doesn''t care what the format is, so long as you feed it the vertex data and state information in the proper forms after the file is loaded.

Golem
Blender--The Gimp--Python--Lua--SDL
Nethack--Crawl--ADOM--Angband--Dungeondweller
3DS and Maya both have plugin architectures with which you can write plugins to export meshes to whatever format pleases you. OGL has no standard model format like DirectX. you use whatever you want, you just have to write the importer for it. I personally prefer a custom model format, but a lot of other people like the quake model formats (MD2 and MD3 i think). There are plenty of turotials on nehe.gamedev.net, for instance that will give you all the code you need to import said model formats. writing an exporter in Max or Maya, is as easy as reading the documentation that came with the program on how to write plugins and then just writing it out in the proper format.

-me

[edited by - Palidine on April 15, 2004 2:10:07 PM]
hey VertexNormal I have been reading up on Blender and I recently DLed it. I read something about the game engine that comes with blender, but I don''t understand what it is exactly. I mean can I make games with it and will it be the traditional way of programming games or is it some sort of button driven program that anyone can use? Also are there any good tutorials on blender online?
Peace!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement