• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vtnwesley

Worth my time?

This topic is 5240 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve noticed a lot of "basic" languages around lately. I have heard of/seen some flaws (or just good reasons) in VB.net that are making me have concerns about devoting time to learning it. I''d rathr design than code... but it seems one without the other is nothing. I have noticed DarkBasic, PureBasic, BlitzBasic, and RealBasic, which all SOUND vaguly promising (and Rapid Q Basic on a lesser note). I was curious if anyone knew about any of these languages, and perhaps what makes them all unique or "worthwhile". I am not a programmer, so I wouldn''t know, but what looked promising to me is PureBasic, and RealBasic are multi-platform friendly. All of them seem faster, and lighter weight than Visual Basic. Also it seems as if almost all of them are geared toward easily designing games. Some of the examples I have seen look quite good. If any of these ideas are misconceptions, i''d like to know. Also, what are the possibilities of developing an online rpg in one of these languages? Any advice would be appreciated. I don''t want to devote my life to coding, but I do want to know how to produce a somewhat finished product. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
I don''t like those BASIC languages. They are too English-like. I stick with java/c++/c.

You can develop an online RPG in all languages.

quote:
Original post by Koroljov You can develop an online RPG in all languages.

Well , you can arguably do most anything in almost all modern languages, I ment how viable is it. Would it be worth trying, or would it be a huge uphill battle to make something like that using one of the Basics?

quote:
Original post by C-Junkie
its a huge uphill battle in any language

Well, at least you are honest lol. Thanks.

BASIC is a beginner''s language. You can make an online RPG with BASIC, but I wouldn''t. Online RPGs usually have large teams working with a strong language like C++. If you don''t have these things, then your game should probably be aimed at a shareware or freeware audience.

--------------------------------------
I am the master of stories.....
If only I could just write them down...

quote:
Original post by RuneLancer
What you''re asking sounds quite a bit like...

"I''ve heard of syphillis, gonorhea, AIDS... which is best?"

Surely not all of the Basic variants can be THAT bad... right? Plus, what maes C+ so much better? If one person knows C+ and say... DarkBasic like the back of his hand, and he makes a game/app using both and tries to end up with the same result, will there be any differences. Will Basic simply be inadiquate, or too slow or something?

People seem a little wishy-washy on WHY some things are "bad", but are always willing to say they are bad.

quote:

original post by vtnwesley:
People seem a little wishy-washy on WHY some things are "bad", but are always willing to say they are bad.

Yup. You might be right ...anyways, I''ll tell you why I don''t like Basic. I started my very first programming attempts in QBasic (DOS) which ran quite slowly (since it didn''t generate executable code) and had some very bad restrictions, which I noticed later, when I advanced to Pascal/C.

Since I found out that Pascal / C / C++ were WAYS more friendly to the programmer (and the IDE looked better! *gg*), I started to like those languages more.

I haven''t looked in any Basic language ever since, and most probably I won''t (except I''m forced to).

That was just my personal story, and my dislikes for Basic are mainly emotional (remembering the past), but at least this shouldn''t be wishy-washy, as you called it

Nevertheless, I''m glad I had QBasic, because else I''d never had the opportunity to program ...

Indeterminatus

--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--

quote:
Original post by Indeterminatus
quote:

original post by vtnwesley:

I haven''t looked in any Basic language ever since, and most probably I won''t (except I''m forced to).

If it means anything to you at all, it looks like (in a lot of ways) most BASICs these days are not as gimped as QBASIC and pre-QBASICs. Those languages really were mutant languages, I admit.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!