• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worth my time?

This topic is 5063 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve noticed a lot of "basic" languages around lately. I have heard of/seen some flaws (or just good reasons) in VB.net that are making me have concerns about devoting time to learning it. I''d rathr design than code... but it seems one without the other is nothing. I have noticed DarkBasic, PureBasic, BlitzBasic, and RealBasic, which all SOUND vaguly promising (and Rapid Q Basic on a lesser note). I was curious if anyone knew about any of these languages, and perhaps what makes them all unique or "worthwhile". I am not a programmer, so I wouldn''t know, but what looked promising to me is PureBasic, and RealBasic are multi-platform friendly. All of them seem faster, and lighter weight than Visual Basic. Also it seems as if almost all of them are geared toward easily designing games. Some of the examples I have seen look quite good. If any of these ideas are misconceptions, i''d like to know. Also, what are the possibilities of developing an online rpg in one of these languages? Any advice would be appreciated. I don''t want to devote my life to coding, but I do want to know how to produce a somewhat finished product. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
I don''t like those BASIC languages. They are too English-like. I stick with java/c++/c.

You can develop an online RPG in all languages.

quote:
Original post by Koroljov You can develop an online RPG in all languages.

Well , you can arguably do most anything in almost all modern languages, I ment how viable is it. Would it be worth trying, or would it be a huge uphill battle to make something like that using one of the Basics?

quote:
Original post by C-Junkie
its a huge uphill battle in any language

Well, at least you are honest lol. Thanks.

BASIC is a beginner''s language. You can make an online RPG with BASIC, but I wouldn''t. Online RPGs usually have large teams working with a strong language like C++. If you don''t have these things, then your game should probably be aimed at a shareware or freeware audience.

--------------------------------------
I am the master of stories.....
If only I could just write them down...

What you''re asking sounds quite a bit like...

"I''ve heard of syphillis, gonorhea, AIDS... which is best?"

quote:
Original post by RuneLancer
What you''re asking sounds quite a bit like...

"I''ve heard of syphillis, gonorhea, AIDS... which is best?"

Surely not all of the Basic variants can be THAT bad... right? Plus, what maes C+ so much better? If one person knows C+ and say... DarkBasic like the back of his hand, and he makes a game/app using both and tries to end up with the same result, will there be any differences. Will Basic simply be inadiquate, or too slow or something?

People seem a little wishy-washy on WHY some things are "bad", but are always willing to say they are bad.

quote:

original post by vtnwesley:
People seem a little wishy-washy on WHY some things are "bad", but are always willing to say they are bad.

Yup. You might be right ...anyways, I''ll tell you why I don''t like Basic. I started my very first programming attempts in QBasic (DOS) which ran quite slowly (since it didn''t generate executable code) and had some very bad restrictions, which I noticed later, when I advanced to Pascal/C.

Since I found out that Pascal / C / C++ were WAYS more friendly to the programmer (and the IDE looked better! *gg*), I started to like those languages more.

I haven''t looked in any Basic language ever since, and most probably I won''t (except I''m forced to).

That was just my personal story, and my dislikes for Basic are mainly emotional (remembering the past), but at least this shouldn''t be wishy-washy, as you called it

Nevertheless, I''m glad I had QBasic, because else I''d never had the opportunity to program ...

Indeterminatus

--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--

quote:
Original post by Indeterminatus
quote:

original post by vtnwesley:

I haven''t looked in any Basic language ever since, and most probably I won''t (except I''m forced to).

If it means anything to you at all, it looks like (in a lot of ways) most BASICs these days are not as gimped as QBASIC and pre-QBASICs. Those languages really were mutant languages, I admit.

Those Basic languages are ''bad'' because they have alot of limitations. They are good because you can rapidly prototype.

It''s like comparing Perl to C. C IS FASTAR. Not really. I can get things done in perl 20x faster than C. Time is money, computers will get FASTAR, and I would rather have a job.

When it comes to games C++ is the necessary evil language mostly because as of yet there is no better alternative. It has no limitations on what you can get done or do, just your time and money.

I program in C#, Euphoria, C(++), Java, ...

But that doesn''t mean that I think any BASIC-like language is bad. If you wanna make a game, try BlitzBasic (I''ve tried it). It''s so much easier than C++, it lets you program on a much higher level and it has an optimizing compiler, so speed is not an issue. It''s specifically aimed at game programming (using DirectX), and you don''t have to worry about low-level things.
You don''t need to know how DirectX works to make a game in BlitzBasic. Just use simple commands to read input from keyboard/mouse/joystick, connect to a network, play music and sound-effects, render 2D/3D-graphics, etc...

Is there anything easier than this:

Graphics 640, 480
SetBuffer BackBuffer()
While Not KeyDown(1)
DrawImage image, x, y
Flip
Wend

or this:

beep = LoadSound("beep.wav")
PlaySound beep

or this:

newGame = StartNetGame()
playerID = CreateNetPlayer("George")
SendNetMsg 1, "The message", playerID

No need to add a lot of comments to document what you are doing. A lot of commands just say what they do. You can develop a game in this kind of language a lot faster than when you try it with C++. No compiling or linking: debugging is just pressing F5 and running the program. A lot less bugs are possible in BlitzBasic than in C++.

---
tommy online: http://users.pandora.be/tommycarlier

So tell me if I am wrong, but I am kind of seeing the general opinion is "Basic = easy, and wicked fast programming, but perhaps limitted... possibly extremely limitted" and "C+ = limitless, but complicated"... each possibly serving their own purpose... ?

Is there any good way to tell WHICH BASIC may be a good start, or is it more of a "try it and find out" kind of thing?

I think this will make your decision easy.

If you are not a programmer you''re going to need LOTS of help. You''re not going to get that unless you learn a mainstream language, c/c++/one of the .NETs/java.

problem solved ... just don''t ask which of those ....

C

If you have never programmed before you might want to run through a few basic routines before trying a game. That said there is no real advantage to c++ over Java over any decent varient of basic. They all compile down to the same machine code, its just how good the compiler is at working out the best way of doing what you intended to be done. Personly I''d have a quick look through the support forums etc for each as you will be using them, and then work out what you are more comfortable with. I have a friend who hates c++ with a passion (the fault of the syntax, so he claims) moved from VB to DarkBasic and seems to get quite good results with that.

Jay

quote:
Original post by Jason Zelos
I have a friend who hates c++ with a passion (the fault of the syntax, so he claims) moved from VB to DarkBasic and seems to get quite good results with that.

Jay

I''m not shocked. DarkBasic and BlitzBasic seem to have a huge following of game programmers. PureBasic and RealBasic seem more "multipurpose" (i.e. "not good at anything"? half empty, half full... who cares lol). I just wish I could find someone who has used a lil bit of all 4, so I could find out from someone who knows first hand which I might like the best. I have a feeling I''m gonna try Blitz though.

• Advertisement