• Advertisement

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question on tracking/following character

This topic is 5087 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey y''all, I''m currently planning the AI for a sophmore game at the digipen institute of technology. One of my tasks is to create a "cop" character that will chase the player if he is alerted of a robbery (you play a theif). However, the cop has to chase the player through a semi-complex town and so he has to worry about following the player and colliding with walls and other townspeople. I really haven''t been able to generate any solid ideas on how to do this. I guess I could always continually generate a fast path with a best first pathfinding algorithm, but there must be a better way..... Any ideas? I simply need a way for this cop to move towards and continue to follow the player through this town. Thanks! Ben

What you could do, for optimization reasons, is the following:

- limit the "create new path" algorithm to let's say every 10th logical frame

- use "waypoints", that means the following:
1.) get the player's position and calculate path
2.) go there (path doesn't need to be actualized until then, just has to be followed)
3.) if there, goto step 1 again (if the player hasn't been caught, of course *g*)

Maybe that helped a little...

--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--

edit: minor changes

[edited by - Indeterminatus on April 13, 2004 2:18:09 PM]

• Advertisement