indexed vertex arrays...

Started by
2 comments, last by turbotank 20 years ago
hi all, I know that vertices, normals, texcoods and colors can''t have seperate indexarrays, but is it possible to setup the indexarray just for the vertices and the normals? an short example: model is a simple pyramid (4 triangles) 4 vertices 4 normals 12 indices but if i want to map a texture, i need 12 "unique" texcoords which should not be accessed by the index array. is there a way to use indexed vertex arrays just for vertex and normal data and the "old" vertex array for texture coordinates? thank you in advance turbotank
Advertisement
In short, no.

It just seems to be extremely stupid at first(and gave me alot of problems for my FYP last year), but you just have to accept it and split the vertices for every unique attribute they have.

Mystique Legacy : Rise of the Forgotten World
that is what i thought,

indexed arrays alow you to save over 50% of vertexdata (sphere, cube, symetric vehicles) but if you add textures which have in 90% of all models, no or very few dublicated uv coordinates you can''t use them.
This makes a modelloader whith indexed array support senseless. Or not?

turbotank
quote:Original post by turbotank
indexed arrays alow you to save over 50% of vertexdata (sphere, cube, symetric vehicles) but if you add textures which have in 90% of all models, no or very few dublicated uv coordinates you can''t use them.
This makes a modelloader whith indexed array support senseless. Or not?

Not. Most models won''t have many texture "seams"... that is, they won''t have many sets of vertices with the same position but different texture coordinates. Those few sets that have differences, you can just duplicate for each texture coordinate used.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement