What should be added/improved in MIDP?

Started by
5 comments, last by french 20 years ago
hello ! I''m a student working on a J2ME game engine. For my work, it is asked to me what should be the ameliorations to apport to a future evolution of MIDP... In fact, what should be improved ( like for the actual tileMap ineficient method ) and what sould be added, always keeping in mind that it''s for offline videogames... I''m also interrested if you have links about this... Thanx !!!
Advertisement
MIDP 2 fixed most of the problems with MIDP 1. There''s a few things still to be desired, tho. For instance, the design of the tiled level class forces the entire level to be painted, rather than the area on-screen; this is universally recognized to be a Very Bad Thing (TM). Additionally, support for the media API is spotty and fraught with inconsistencies on many phones.

IMHO, the biggest problem with J2ME is development environment issues. Very, very few phones support on-target debugging. Combined with the inevitable differences between a device and an emulator, this can really hamper debugging efforts.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke
The horizon is fragmented enough as it is. A new MIDP version with a lot of enhancements will just make that worse. I think the focus should be to bring devices up to speed with what''s currently available, and then rest on our laurels for a while, because we deserve it.

Well... actually... Reflection?

shmoove
Shmoove i agree!

Lets take it easy... MIDP 1 MIDP2 CLDC1 CLDC1.1 JSR 135 JSR 145 JSR 175 Siemens API NOkia API etc etc

Lets just get things under control. OHHH and then Brew and Symbian, Win CE (Yuuccckkkk).

The Futures Bright, The Futures .... its eeemm what is it??

I agree with Schmoove; I am programming MIDP1.0 devices and there are enough problems there. Most vendors don''t have a very good implementation of all of the libraries (i.e. breaks if you don''t treat them with kid gloves). Hardly any (do any?) vendors provide an emulator which is remotely similar to the real device, it''s basically just the sun emulator with a vendor specific UI glued on.

Mark
Thanx a lot for your answers !

I posted this message on several forums, and it seems that everybody agree : nothing to add , but actual things to improve, and the most important thing is to improve ways of debugging, like debug on device...
How does MIDP2 make TiledLayer draw the entire map? You''re supposed to add it to the LayerManager, then set the viewport, according to the documentation, this will clip the area.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement