• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PointVector

Problem with the equation of a plane Ax + By + Cz + D = 0

This topic is 5211 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Problem with the equation of a plane Ax + By + Cz + D = 0? calculate the normal vector of one triangle use it''s three points value, the result is two of normal vector values are zero, x = 0, y = 0, z = 1, for example. then use the equation of a plane: Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, to calculate one point whether into the triangle will wrong, any x y value will ok if z is ok , what can i do?

Advertisement
quote:

what can I do?

You could rewrite your post so that it´s possible to understand what you want.

Different username, but nearly identical wording as question posted in this thread a few posts down. You''re not using multiple user accounts, are you?

Anyway, as I explained in that other thread, for a plane defined by the normal vector (0,0,1), any point (x,y,z) will be on the plane so long as z==-D.

If you want to find out if that point lies within a specific triangle on the plane, you need to employ a test such as I described in the above-mentioned thread; merely plugging x and y into the equation and solving for z will not determine if it intersects a triangle, just if it lies on the plane.

As Atheist said, perhaps you could make yourself more understandable.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!