windowed or fullscreen - which do you like?

Started by
14 comments, last by Andy Reno 20 years ago
One of the most annoying things ever is when a fullscreen app chokes, and it quits with a nice little dialog, but then DOESN''T RESET THE DISPLAY MODE.
Advertisement
When playing a game I''ve downloaded, like something programmed by anyone from GameDev, I prefer windowed mode so I still have full control and can close it or look at something else or whatever, easily. If I like it, I might switch to fullscreen mode (if there''s a way to) and keep playing.

For games I buy or for my own games, I prefer fullscreen mode.

~CGameProgrammer( );

Screenshots of your games or desktop captures -- Upload up to four 1600x1200 screenshots of your projects, registration optional. View all existing ones in the archives..
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
When I''m playing a game I usually prefer fullscreen mode, but when developing a game, windowed mode is very useful. Therefore I''m always implementing a windowed mode...
I think fullscreen exclusive is good. We''ve gotproper page flipping for 2, or 3 page buffering systems. We can specifiy exactly what resolutions, and bit depths we support, and not have to worry about a whole lot of other windowing mode crap. I do think that for developent develpoment, we need a windowed mode for ease of debugging. That''s it.
Full-screen is the best. Don''t be afraid to disable alt-tab and alt-enter either.

Ignore the whiners, they''re not your target audience anyway.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Full-screen is the best. Don''t be afraid to disable alt-tab and alt-enter either.

Ignore the whiners, they''re not your target audience anyway.

Wow, I''m afraid I completely disagree with you there. I suspect 99% of the people on these forums are serious game fans, or we wouldn''t be so interested in making games. How are we "not your target audience"?

If you disable alt-tab/alt-enter, you are taking 100% of the user''s rights to their OS away. That is terribly arrogant and utterly unacceptable for a professional product. Also, the only way to get out of the game if something goes wrong is to restart the machine, causing them to lose any work they might have open. Terrible practice all around.
---------------------------Brian Lacy"I create. Therefore I am."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement