3d Max 6 = animation and material issues

Started by
8 comments, last by bige 20 years ago
Hi im new to this forum, infact this is my first post Hi all im fairly new to 3d max and 3d modelling and animation anyways 2 issues 1 has. Issue 1: i have a animation of a simple house, for windows i have box''s with a material attached to it, the material being a pic of a window. only wen i attach the material to the object (the box) the box turns grey i export it to windows media player only . i do this by choosin animation menu > make preview output = .AVI compressor = Microsoft Video 1 and then create wen the animation is exported to windows media player the objects with materials attached to them are all grey, how do i fix this???? issue 2: refairing back to issue 1, when i attach a material to a object, the object turns grey, is there no way i can make it so the material can be seen in perspective, top, front and left views instead of the object being grey ? Thanks alot hope some 1 can help.
Advertisement
I'm not a Max user, but at a guess, you'll see your materials if you actually render your animation, rather than "make preview." You may also be able to turn on hardware texturing somewhere in Max, which may or may not help, depending on your video card.

You may have better luck getting this answered over in the Visual Arts forum.

Edit: And welcome to GameDev.

"Sweet, peaceful eyelash spiders! Live in love by the ocean of my eyes!" - Jennifer Diane Reitz

[edited by - Logodae on April 13, 2004 7:48:17 PM]
"Sweet, peaceful eyelash spiders! Live in love by the ocean of my eyes!" - Jennifer Diane Reitz
hi thanks for your reply
when i do render the animation i can see all the textures
but then its only a screen shot of the animation.
when i actuall preview the animation ie watch it play back in media play all the textured objects are grey.

hope this makes my prob abit more clearer
cheers

Ian :D
I''m pretty sure there was a setting for this, but I cna''t remember what.(I used the 3d max 6 30 day demo)

A place you can get a response faster would be over at the forums at www.3dbuzz.com

They are invaluable for tutorials and help for graphics arts.

Also they have a vast amount of FREE vidio tutorials on how to use software and do different things. For 3d Studio max they have about 5 cds worth of video tutorials.... about 35 hours free to download. Check em out!

-DD
Ok, I have 3DS Max 5 so this may be wrong...

Go to the materials editor (where you assign materials to the objects) then assign the material and click this button that looks kind of like a chess board (black and white squares) and whallah!! (If your dumb: you''ll be able to see the materials on the 3D view...)
Everyones problems can be solved when they read books

I''d suggest 3D Studio Max r3 fundamentals but its a few versions old (however some of the techniques can be carried across to new versions.)and some forum regulars get mad when I do.

3D Studio Max for Windows by Michele Matossian, on the other hand, is a beginning 3DS Max 6 book that you can purchase at Amazon.com or at Borders, Books-A-Million, etc. It is a "visual" quickstart guide and will definately show you how to use Max 6''s specific features.

As a side note: discreet has moved the Material Editor under the Render Menu in Max 6.
"I hope you brought your wits along with you for sanity is in short supply here." - Hratli of Kurast (Diablo 2)
watermelon is right. the cubic chess board symbol is what you need (although i think the checks are blue rather than black)

remember that if your applying an image material (eg bitmap) to any object other than the standard primitives (like a model of a car) then you will also have to apply an UVW map modifier to it.

The first thing to do when u get stuck is try the tutorials that come with Max. they are very good and you can become proficient pretty quick by using them

"what do you mean its on the wrong line? That wont work... Oh, it worked."
To get a rendered movie-file, you have to press F10 and select ''Range'' or ''Active Time Segment''. Then select a file in the Render Output area a little lower. If you now press render, you will get an movie-file.

Delorian
Why does it render so ugly though? I get a blue background and a very crappy res.
Make sure that at (menue) ''Rendering/Environment'' to set the Backgroundcolor to black. You should use a camera and a minimum of one lightsource. Make one of the viewports to ''view'' the camera and then render. If you press F10 the Render scene window will open. At the bottom should be the camera in the ''viewport:''.

The ''ugliness'' is maybe a codec problem.
Press F10 and you can change the Output size (res) of your rendering.
Try to render a single frame, first. If it doesn''t look ''ugly'' then you could render the movie. Change the codec or the codec-setup if it still look ugly.

Delorian

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement