Curry

Started by
23 comments, last by superpig 20 years ago
On a whim, I decided to try and come up with a game in which the player was a curry. Not a curry monster, or a curry marine, or whatever - an actual curry, maybe with rice. Probably lamb-based; maybe chicken. To my horror, I drew a near total blank. The best gameplay I can come up with is that you have to avoid being eaten by adjusting your hotness level to stop the customers eating you. Being a rather low-quality Indian restaurant, they''d then recycle you (i.e. reheat you and send you out to another customer). That''s a bit crap, though. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
a curry''s adventure down the human digestive track? player''s goal is to make it out alive! (albiet at the consumer''s peril and bathroom sickness )
"I never let schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain
Well, first of all could you explain to me what a curry is (I''ve heard of it, but don''t actually know what it is)?

/*
I use DirectX 9 and C++ (Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Professional edition)
*/
Well, depends there was a red dwarf episode where lister tries use a dna resequence to turn a chicken curry into a lamb vindaloo. Which resluted in a curry moster trying to destroy the ship. But that probably not want you want.

Besides I don''t think there is much you can do gameplay wise with an inanimate object. It would be like making a game where the player is an inanimate carbon rod.

Maybe you could be a pot of curry surronded by other curries and you have to make yourself as appealing as possible to passing customers so that they want to eat you. This is done by watching the customers actions and releasing the correct response. If they start sniffing you relase a burst of flavor. if they reach down to try a sample you make sure a piece of chicken bobs onto their spoon, etc... The object is to be the first curry completely eaten this gets harder as time goes on since there are less pieces of chicken and its harder to release a flavor bubble and other stimuli.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project: Ambitions Slave
quote:Original post by Programmer16
Well, first of all could you explain to me what a curry is (I''ve heard of it, but don''t actually know what it is)?
Wow, you don''t? Perhaps it''s not big in the US.

Indian food, spicy. Invented by the British, back in the Days of the Empire - adding craploads of local spices to the food to cover the taste of the horrible meat the soldiers got.

TechnoGoth, that sounds promising... and perhaps trying to ''bubble'' bits of chicken to the top when a customer is looking in? I like it. You could be a curry on a buffet table, and every now and then one of the restaurant staff would come and refill you.

(I think gameplay with an inanimate object is a massively untapped area. I mean, why vary position when you can vary shape, size, color, smell, taste, etc etc... )

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

A very interesting idea.

How about bringing the interaction up a level? The player takes control of the curry buffet bar, armed with a bag of spices and ingredients. As customers walk by, you can tweak the properties of your curry to entice customers and compete with other foods. Customers will make expressions and say things to each other to hint to you your success or failure with certain recipes. When one curry runs out, you can place an order to the kitchen for a new curry. An economic curry sim; SimCurry, if you will.

This is getting away from the "player as a curry" concept but I couldn''t think of way of doing this. Rocket05''s idea is interesting, if somewhat disturbing.
Julian McKinlayhttp://julianmckinlay.com/
quote:Original post by TheBigJ
How about bringing the interaction up a level? The player takes control of the curry buffet bar, armed with a bag of spices and ingredients. As customers walk by, you can tweak the properties of your curry to entice customers and compete with other foods. Customers will make expressions and say things to each other to hint to you your success or failure with certain recipes. When one curry runs out, you can place an order to the kitchen for a new curry. An economic curry sim; SimCurry, if you will.
Interesting... though I could see it rapidly inflating into a full-blown Indian restaurant sim. Ever played Pizza Tycoon?

quote:This is getting away from the "player as a curry" concept but I couldn''t think of way of doing this. Rocket05''s idea is interesting, if somewhat disturbing.
Yeah; it''s a bit of a pity it doesn''t obey the original concept, but hey, who am I to constrain your creativity?

I''m pondering Rocket05''s idea... perhaps something where the curry is moving through the intestine as one long liquidy snake-thing, and you have to move chunks of meat and stuff into the right places to direct the flow? (In reality there wouldn''t be any chunks by that point, but hey, we''re talking about a game in which you guide a curry through a giant intestine. Reality can take a hike).

:-/

O_O

O_o

o_O

Now, I do like curry as much as any other curry lover, but I can really only picture a person playing this game while intoxicated. As for a tip.....sorry, don''t have any ATM.
Well, R2D22U2..
quote:Original post by superpig
Interesting... though I could see it rapidly inflating into a full-blown Indian restaurant sim. Ever played Pizza Tycoon?

OMG yes! What a great old game that was. *Doc reminisses about Mafia dealings*

Oh, and:

Not curried: (x, y, z) => Curried: x -> y -> z
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
Pizza Tycoon is one of my alltime favourite management sims.

I see the curry sim as being smaller and more intimate than PT. My favourite parts of PT was designing the pizzas and having people judge them. I didn''t really enjoy the economic side of things. If you kept this as a creative game I think it would be a lot more fun: Gameplay is all about the quality of your curry, not how you market it. Resources would be limited to your ingredients pool. Attracting more customers allows for a more diverse menu and a wider range of ingredients. Money shouldn''t enter into it.

And yes, I would definetely be drinking while playing this game.
Julian McKinlayhttp://julianmckinlay.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement