• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curry

This topic is 5029 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

On a whim, I decided to try and come up with a game in which the player was a curry. Not a curry monster, or a curry marine, or whatever - an actual curry, maybe with rice. Probably lamb-based; maybe chicken. To my horror, I drew a near total blank. The best gameplay I can come up with is that you have to avoid being eaten by adjusting your hotness level to stop the customers eating you. Being a rather low-quality Indian restaurant, they''d then recycle you (i.e. reheat you and send you out to another customer). That''s a bit crap, though. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Advertisement
a curry''s adventure down the human digestive track? player''s goal is to make it out alive! (albiet at the consumer''s peril and bathroom sickness )

Well, depends there was a red dwarf episode where lister tries use a dna resequence to turn a chicken curry into a lamb vindaloo. Which resluted in a curry moster trying to destroy the ship. But that probably not want you want.

Besides I don''t think there is much you can do gameplay wise with an inanimate object. It would be like making a game where the player is an inanimate carbon rod.

Maybe you could be a pot of curry surronded by other curries and you have to make yourself as appealing as possible to passing customers so that they want to eat you. This is done by watching the customers actions and releasing the correct response. If they start sniffing you relase a burst of flavor. if they reach down to try a sample you make sure a piece of chicken bobs onto their spoon, etc... The object is to be the first curry completely eaten this gets harder as time goes on since there are less pieces of chicken and its harder to release a flavor bubble and other stimuli.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project: Ambitions Slave

quote:
Original post by Programmer16
Well, first of all could you explain to me what a curry is (I''ve heard of it, but don''t actually know what it is)?
Wow, you don''t? Perhaps it''s not big in the US.

Indian food, spicy. Invented by the British, back in the Days of the Empire - adding craploads of local spices to the food to cover the taste of the horrible meat the soldiers got.

TechnoGoth, that sounds promising... and perhaps trying to ''bubble'' bits of chicken to the top when a customer is looking in? I like it. You could be a curry on a buffet table, and every now and then one of the restaurant staff would come and refill you.

(I think gameplay with an inanimate object is a massively untapped area. I mean, why vary position when you can vary shape, size, color, smell, taste, etc etc... )

A very interesting idea.

How about bringing the interaction up a level? The player takes control of the curry buffet bar, armed with a bag of spices and ingredients. As customers walk by, you can tweak the properties of your curry to entice customers and compete with other foods. Customers will make expressions and say things to each other to hint to you your success or failure with certain recipes. When one curry runs out, you can place an order to the kitchen for a new curry. An economic curry sim; SimCurry, if you will.

This is getting away from the "player as a curry" concept but I couldn''t think of way of doing this. Rocket05''s idea is interesting, if somewhat disturbing.

quote:
Original post by TheBigJ
How about bringing the interaction up a level? The player takes control of the curry buffet bar, armed with a bag of spices and ingredients. As customers walk by, you can tweak the properties of your curry to entice customers and compete with other foods. Customers will make expressions and say things to each other to hint to you your success or failure with certain recipes. When one curry runs out, you can place an order to the kitchen for a new curry. An economic curry sim; SimCurry, if you will.
Interesting... though I could see it rapidly inflating into a full-blown Indian restaurant sim. Ever played Pizza Tycoon?

quote:
This is getting away from the "player as a curry" concept but I couldn''t think of way of doing this. Rocket05''s idea is interesting, if somewhat disturbing.
Yeah; it''s a bit of a pity it doesn''t obey the original concept, but hey, who am I to constrain your creativity?

I''m pondering Rocket05''s idea... perhaps something where the curry is moving through the intestine as one long liquidy snake-thing, and you have to move chunks of meat and stuff into the right places to direct the flow? (In reality there wouldn''t be any chunks by that point, but hey, we''re talking about a game in which you guide a curry through a giant intestine. Reality can take a hike).

:-/

O_O

O_o

o_O

Now, I do like curry as much as any other curry lover, but I can really only picture a person playing this game while intoxicated. As for a tip.....sorry, don''t have any ATM.

quote:
Original post by superpig
Interesting... though I could see it rapidly inflating into a full-blown Indian restaurant sim. Ever played Pizza Tycoon?

OMG yes! What a great old game that was. *Doc reminisses about Mafia dealings*

Oh, and:

Not curried: (x, y, z) => Curried: x -> y -> z

Pizza Tycoon is one of my alltime favourite management sims.

I see the curry sim as being smaller and more intimate than PT. My favourite parts of PT was designing the pizzas and having people judge them. I didn''t really enjoy the economic side of things. If you kept this as a creative game I think it would be a lot more fun: Gameplay is all about the quality of your curry, not how you market it. Resources would be limited to your ingredients pool. Attracting more customers allows for a more diverse menu and a wider range of ingredients. Money shouldn''t enter into it.

And yes, I would definetely be drinking while playing this game.

Also, regarding Rocket05''s idea:

Journeys through the human body can be really cool (think Futurama: "A Parasite Lost"), however there are some areas that you just wouldn''t want to go. The digestive system is certainly high on that list. And what would be your reward for making it through to the end? I''ll let your imaginations take over right about now.

so i must be the only one in the US that loves curry. hmph. i guess i need to be an evangalist...

What if it was like a party game? Like a drinking game or something, like...you get a bunch of people together and the game has a bowl (...bowl?) of curry on the table by a table with random game objects stacked on the table. Each round the people playing would be randomly picked to pick an object to mix into the curry, and then they have to do it for real. Then the curry would kinda represent the atmosphere of the room: messy, smelly, and pretty freaking ugly.

I don''t know...this sounds like a damned stupid idea, so...I went with something damned stupid.

If you don''t, there''s a drinking game coming out on PS2...which is where I got this idea from...so don''t get mad, get GLAD.

Okay, check it out, I have the plotline for you:

You''re a secret agent curry working for the Chinese government, and you have to sour yourself so that the people who eat you get sick, and thus have to be replaced by a second layer of outsourcing to... you guessed it... China!

Now, to make yourself curdle you have to combine various bacteria around you in a tetris-like style. Combine three like bacteria and you begin to turn color. Turn color all the way before the time limit and you sicken one programmer, and take your homeland one step closer to technological dominance in the 21st century!!!

=)

What? Why is everyone looking at me like I''m crazy?

(looks around)

Oh, no one''s looking at me. That''s just the people in my head. Sorry about that. =)

Y''know, I think this type of game would work best almost as a minigame in a collection of minigames. Y''know, kinda like Mario Party, but only back when the minigames were fun, and...well involving foods.

Whoa. There''s an idea: a collection of minigames all related to food and food preparation! Carrot chopping competitions, cheese grating...oooh.

...The possibilities are endless. Anyone want to try collaborating on something that wacky? :D

Oh, and I must admit that I am a curry fiend! It seems to be far more popular in Canada than it is in the U.S. Hm. Funny that.

hehe, funny thread. What i picture in my head is something like the old NES BurgerTime game. You can have the main player running from curries being created by an evil Indian chef. Each time a curry catches the player, he turns slightly redder/hotter. After ingesting so many curries the player could catch fire, then after ingesting a few more he would explode. and you could make a different mode where the player is the chef creating the curries.

that''s my 2-cents.

Have influence on how the curry flows throught the digestive track and push it into areas where it aggitates the eater who eventually has to spit it back out and throw up. The goal is to not be digested. It''s like a concious curry. *laughs*
~Wave

Ooh...just had a thought, going back to the whole: "playing as a sentient curry that alters its flavour and texture and whatnot", perhaps you could also get temperamental customers. Y''know, like the kind who don''t particularly know what curry is, but become violently ill when they consume spicey foods? XD And you could get bonus points depending on how ill you made them by spicing yourself up.

I''ve been thinking some more about this, trying to think up a way of playing as the curry itself.

I have a vague memory of a TV show from when I was a kid that featured an italian chef who made a plate of spaghetti meatballs. One of the meatballs either rolled or ran away (my memory is sketchy) and throughout the whole segment he was chasing this meatball through the city streets and stuff. In the end, he caught it and put it back on the spaghetti.

Not sure where this came from, it may have been from an american show but it could also have come from an Australian show. Anyone know what I''m talking about?

Anyway, how about doing something like that? You''re a bowl of curry being served to a table and you somehow manage to escape onto the floor and roll away. The chef comes after you and you have to evade him. Possibly some kind of platformer set in the restaurant. To complete the game, roll through the labyrynth of tables and customers, into the kitchen and out the back door to freedom. Maybe you can pick up rice from customers'' tables for health. Maybe you have to liberate other curries from the tables in an Oddworld-fashion. Maybe I''m thinking about this too much and should get back to work...

quote:
Original post by TheBigJ
I have a vague memory of a TV show from when I was a kid that featured an italian chef who made a plate of spaghetti meatballs. One of the meatballs either rolled or ran away (my memory is sketchy) and throughout the whole segment he was chasing this meatball through the city streets and stuff. In the end, he caught it and put it back on the spaghetti.

Was is that Super Mario Bros. series?

That show was teh 1337-pwn4g3-uber-roXx0rz. I have the Season 1 and 2 DVD's, in fact (golly, I hope they release Season 3 soon!).

[edited by - CobraMantis on April 14, 2004 3:37:43 AM]

Curry was NOT invented by the British.

And even Chicken Tikka Masala, whilst invent in England, was created by an Indian chief.

Curry is Britain''s favourite food, but it is a native Indian dish.

quote:
Original post by Scarfy
Curry was NOT invented by the British.

And even Chicken Tikka Masala, whilst invent in England, was created by an Indian chief.

Curry is Britain''s favourite food, but it is a native Indian dish.

Native indian curry is a different thing (Wikipedia).

Playing as a ''sentient curry'' is definitely the way to go, I think... otherwise there''s no opportunity for interactivity. But I''m wondering quite how a mixture of meat pieces and sauce could move through the city streets; I mean, a meatball can roll, but the curry would... ooze? Not sure it works very well, unless you turn it into a ''curry monster.''

VThornHeart: substitute "India" for "China" in there and you''ve got an interesting little storyline... Hmm, yes, takeaway curry most certainly happens. If you''re a takeaway the setting can ultimately become anything, though of course you (the curry) must be in the classic aluminum foil dish thing.

quote:
Original post by TheBigJ

Not sure where this came from, it may have been from an american show but it could also have come from an Australian show. Anyone know what I''m talking about?

I don''t remember a show, but I definitely remember singing the song in school assemblies... "And then that poor meatball fell on to the floor, and then that poor meatball, rolled straight out the door."

Thanks man, I thought I had erased those memories from my head. Maby if I try real hard I can erase them again by the time I wake in the morning.

On topic:

Perhaps you could have a game where you have to saturate all the rice with the spices so that the poor diner doesn''t have to finish their meal eating just plane rice. Only chunks of meat block the path of the juices. You have to influence an idle fork in the hands of the diner to force spices around meat and to break up impermeable chuncks of rice. The game gets complicated when the diner decides to stop talking to their fellows and takes a bite, reducing your juciy spicy supply. You have to manouver tasty morcels of meat and rice to the top so that they take those rather than your spice supply. You win when there is no chunk of plain rice left.

• Advertisement