Curry

Started by
23 comments, last by superpig 20 years ago
I''ve been thinking some more about this, trying to think up a way of playing as the curry itself.

I have a vague memory of a TV show from when I was a kid that featured an italian chef who made a plate of spaghetti meatballs. One of the meatballs either rolled or ran away (my memory is sketchy) and throughout the whole segment he was chasing this meatball through the city streets and stuff. In the end, he caught it and put it back on the spaghetti.

Not sure where this came from, it may have been from an american show but it could also have come from an Australian show. Anyone know what I''m talking about?

Anyway, how about doing something like that? You''re a bowl of curry being served to a table and you somehow manage to escape onto the floor and roll away. The chef comes after you and you have to evade him. Possibly some kind of platformer set in the restaurant. To complete the game, roll through the labyrynth of tables and customers, into the kitchen and out the back door to freedom. Maybe you can pick up rice from customers'' tables for health. Maybe you have to liberate other curries from the tables in an Oddworld-fashion. Maybe I''m thinking about this too much and should get back to work...
Julian McKinlayhttp://julianmckinlay.com/
Advertisement
quote:Original post by TheBigJ
I have a vague memory of a TV show from when I was a kid that featured an italian chef who made a plate of spaghetti meatballs. One of the meatballs either rolled or ran away (my memory is sketchy) and throughout the whole segment he was chasing this meatball through the city streets and stuff. In the end, he caught it and put it back on the spaghetti.

Was is that Super Mario Bros. series?

That show was teh 1337-pwn4g3-uber-roXx0rz. I have the Season 1 and 2 DVD's, in fact (golly, I hope they release Season 3 soon!).

[edited by - CobraMantis on April 14, 2004 3:37:43 AM]

Curry was NOT invented by the British.

And even Chicken Tikka Masala, whilst invent in England, was created by an Indian chief.

Curry is Britain''s favourite food, but it is a native Indian dish.
Parallel RealitiesProject: Starfighter
quote:Original post by Scarfy
Curry was NOT invented by the British.

And even Chicken Tikka Masala, whilst invent in England, was created by an Indian chief.

Curry is Britain''s favourite food, but it is a native Indian dish.

Native indian curry is a different thing (Wikipedia).

Playing as a ''sentient curry'' is definitely the way to go, I think... otherwise there''s no opportunity for interactivity. But I''m wondering quite how a mixture of meat pieces and sauce could move through the city streets; I mean, a meatball can roll, but the curry would... ooze? Not sure it works very well, unless you turn it into a ''curry monster.''

VThornHeart: substitute "India" for "China" in there and you''ve got an interesting little storyline... Hmm, yes, takeaway curry most certainly happens. If you''re a takeaway the setting can ultimately become anything, though of course you (the curry) must be in the classic aluminum foil dish thing.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

quote:Original post by TheBigJ

Not sure where this came from, it may have been from an american show but it could also have come from an Australian show. Anyone know what I''m talking about?

I don''t remember a show, but I definitely remember singing the song in school assemblies... "And then that poor meatball fell on to the floor, and then that poor meatball, rolled straight out the door."

Thanks man, I thought I had erased those memories from my head. Maby if I try real hard I can erase them again by the time I wake in the morning.

On topic:

Perhaps you could have a game where you have to saturate all the rice with the spices so that the poor diner doesn''t have to finish their meal eating just plane rice. Only chunks of meat block the path of the juices. You have to influence an idle fork in the hands of the diner to force spices around meat and to break up impermeable chuncks of rice. The game gets complicated when the diner decides to stop talking to their fellows and takes a bite, reducing your juciy spicy supply. You have to manouver tasty morcels of meat and rice to the top so that they take those rather than your spice supply. You win when there is no chunk of plain rice left.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement